Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

ADA Compliance regarding radiators and hot piping?

JohnNY
JohnNY Member Posts: 2,650
edited April 6 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello all,
I can't seem to find anything referencing protection against scald/burns from hot pipes or radiators in the Americans with Disabilities Act regulations but I'm thinking there has to be a Code or protocol for this somewhere. I'm told there is an ADA directive for insulating hot pipes under sinks but I can't even find that.
If you know of any code that discusses this, please let me know. It's important to a client of mine.
Best to all,
JohnNY Cataneo
Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, Master Plumber
in New York
in New Jersey
for Consulting Work
or take his class.

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 1,963
    As far as I’m aware nothing. 
    I’ll check with others that are more up to date. 
    JohnNY
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 2,863
    Even if it isn't technically suggested in the guidelines, some sort of screened enclosure in public areas would probably be a great idea.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 2,650
    mattmia2 said:

Even if it isn't technically suggested in the guidelines, some sort of screened enclosure in public areas would probably be a great idea.

Yes! And I'd love to find a screened enclosure for a vertical riser for this purpose.

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, Master Plumber
    in New York
    in New Jersey
    for Consulting Work
    or take his class.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 8,840
    In a modern building everything would be required to be insulated as far as pipe goes must be in the energy or building code. As far as radiation i don't know
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 2,863
    I had assumed this is a riser used for heating, otherwise why not just insulate and enclose it.
  • Matt_67
    Matt_67 Member Posts: 195
    The guideline to insulate under sink plumbing is around page 172.

https://www.ada.gov/2010ADAstandards_index.htm

I’m not sure about other hot surfaces but it seems like it must be in there somewhere.