Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensate tank vent spitting

chuckadoo
chuckadoo Member Posts: 30
26 unit apartment complex, 3 radiators per apartment, 3 stories. Condensate tank vent beginning to spit. No hot/cold complaints from tenants. End of main trap is good. I’m guessing it to be a radiator trap. Any tricks on tracking down the culprit, without entering every apartment? If problem doesn’t directly affect tenant, it is a hell of a chore to get inside.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    Do you have individual -- or at least somewhat divided -- returns? If so, you can at least begin to localize the problem. The return with the offending trap on it will be warmer.

Unless you have multiple offending traps, of course...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • jacobsond
    jacobsond Member Posts: 90
    Sometimes there is no easy way. Might as well check them all. What kind of traps? Disk traps are easy with ultrasound. What kind of test equipment do you have? If they are all the same age it will likely be more than 1 bad.
    coming to you from warm and sunny ND
  • chuckadoo
    chuckadoo Member Posts: 30
    @jacobsond all I have is a thermometer. One apartment unit that I was able to get in had no17c discs, but who knows what the others have. It is hell trying to get tenants to let you in I was hoping not to check them all. @Jamie Hall that is an awesome suggestion, gives me somewhere to start!