Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cleaning steam drain valve

zepfan
zepfan Member Posts: 397
Looking for the best way, and what chemical to use if there is one, to clean a steam drain valve on a steam humidifier. The drain valve is a Honeywell zone valve, made of brass. The deposits from the production of steam get into the valve and prevent it from closing all the way. Based on the close location of these drain valves, it would be easier to clean ,then replace the entire valve. Thanks to all

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    I would think a mild acid like vinegar might be involved. Was there no mention of cleaning or maintenance in the manual? May I ask the manufacturer and model?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    Larry Weingarten
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Can you pull the cover off the zone valve ? if you can two screws pulls the power head off then four hex nuts removes the workings that could be replaced leaving the body in place ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • zepfan
    zepfan Member Posts: 397
    Thanks for the responses. The humidifier is a dri steam, with fan pack. I could not find any mention of maintenance of the drain valve only cleaning of the tank. That is what I was planning on doing is replace the powerhead on each valve, but was looking for the best way to clean the valve body that would remain in place. Even with a new powerhead I think there may still be too much build up in the body of the valve for a new powerhead to seat properly. Thanks again
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    sometimes you can soak a piece of paper towel or rag in mild acid like citric acid or vinegar and put it in the valve body once you take it apart to remove deposits. Could also install a union or compression fitting or something similar so you could take it off and soak it.
    Williams_B