Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Educate Me!

Options
dab2
dab2 Member Posts: 1
How do I top off my steam boiler with garden hose. I turned the flow to pipes and get water coming out of spicket. I have tried every pipe individually but can't figure it out. My contracter showed me how to do it once but I cant remember!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,338
    Options
    Say again? First off, do you really need to "top off" the boiler? If this really is steam, there should be a sight glass -- a glass tube -- on the front of the boiler, and the water level in that glass tube should be somewhere in the middle third. You don't need any more -- and you don't want any less.

Now having gotten that far, and you do need to add water. Somewhere, unless this is a really strange arrangement (they do happen) there should be a pipe coming from your domestic water supply and going to the steam system. It might go to the boiler directly, but more often -- and more correctly -- it will connect to the pipe which allows steam condensate to get back into the boiler. That pipe should have a valve on it. To add water, when the boiler is cold, simply open that valve. When the water level in the sight glass is correct, turn off that valve and make sure it's really off. Now. If the water level in the sight glass doesn't change when you are doing this, stop right there. You will need professional help to take the sight glass apart and make sure it really is seeing the boiler water level -- and don't operate the boiler until you do.

If you can't find that pipe, take pictures of the boiler from all four sides, showing the pipes connecting to it, and we may be able to find it...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Call your contractor again, take notes.

There was an error rendering this rich post.