Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler replacement suggestions.

Options
Fitzy_Fitta
Fitzy_Fitta Member Posts: 1
I currently have a old 1982 Burnham V-14a-T. The tankless is starting to leak at the plate and My days are numbered with this system. 3 zones of baseboard, 2 full baths, 1,600-1,800 sq ft cape in New England. New windows and the insulation is fair. It’s only my wife, young son and myself in the house. The hot water usage is pretty low, we rarely take back to back showers and the tankless gives us no issues with hot water now. I’m a licensed pipefitter/ refrigeration tech and plan on doing the work myself. I was going to go with a 3 pass oil fired boiler and a indirect tank. The house does have solar, so my rates are cheap. Was also thinking of putting in a electric h/p water heater and some mini splits. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    What you're proposing in your situation sounds quite reasonable to me...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    SuperTech
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    I would download the Slant Finn app and do a heat loss calc. You may be oversized now.

Is this steam or water?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    I would download the Slant Finn app and do a heat loss calc. You may be oversized now.

Is this steam or water?
    LS123
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    Look at installing a Trio cast iron three pass oil boiler with a indirect water heater.
    When installing this boiler if you ever want to go to natural gas or LP gas you can change the burner.
    Find a good professional heating contractor and they can help you out.

www.trioboiler.com
  • Fitzy_Fitta
    Options
    Are the Trio boilers from fwwebb? I spoke w/ the local distributor when I was replacing the dhw mixing valve Granite group, and was told the Buderous is the cheapest. The burners Beckett, riello and Carlin were available. I would put a Carlin on it. As far as the indirect, any preference? Im looking for the best LT warranty.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,833
    Options
    You're using the LT tank? Going stackable?
    The G115-3 and the LT160 are a perfect match. Anything bigger is a waste for your needs.
    Nothing wrong the the Carlin EZ-1, but what made you choose it?
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,159
    edited March 2021
    Options
    The Trio three pass boilers are a great choice. I service a few of them and I find that they are every bit as good as a Buderus.  They work great with the Beckett AFG or Carlin EZ-1. The Trio with an indirect tank will give you noticeable fuel savings over your old Burnham with the tankless coil.  The only boiler that I like more is the Energy Kinetics EK-1. I prefer a boiler with an indirect tank over a separate heat pump water heater, more reliable and easy to service.  The choice of tank depends on the water quality in your area.  Install a powered anode if you want it to last a long time.  

I would stay away from ductless systems.  I don't like the way black fuzzy growth builds up on the blower wheels of the indoor units in my area.  As a service technician I find them to be a royal pain in the @$$ when they need service and repairs.  Sometimes sourcing parts is a problem.  I hate telling customers that their system will be down for a few days because the parts are being shipped from Japan. I'd rather install a traditional ducted system if possible. They are much better at removing humidity in the summertime due to the larger evaporator coils.  
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Try to save yourself some work and before you rip it out you should remove the tankless coil and
    replace the OEM gasket using a high temperature silicone if the manufacture recommends it as all you may need is a new gasket for the boiler.
    The hold down nuts for tankless coils loosen over time if no blue loctite is applied to the stud threads.

• Fitzy_Fitta
    Options

Is this steam or water?

its hot water baseboard
  • Fitzy_Fitta
    Options
    HVACNUT said:

The G115-3 and the LT160 are a perfect match. Anything bigger is a waste for your needs.

The Carlin for ease of service and parts.
  • Fitzy_Fitta
    Options
    leonz said:

Try to save yourself some work and before you rip it out you should remove the tankless coil and
    replace the OEM gasket using a high temperature silicone if the manufacture recommends it as all you may need is a new gasket for the boiler.
    The hold down nuts for tankless coils loosen over time if no blue loctite is applied to the stud threads.

The plate and nuts are in very poor condition. I'm reluctant to even touch the tankless. If i look at it funny it may start leaking badly. The boiler is getting replaced in the spring. Just need it to last a few more weeks.

• Fitzy_Fitta
    Options
    HVACNUT said:

LT as in lifetime warranty. I have well water. Never been tested and not on a softner or filtration system. Any thoughts on what tanks hold up best. I replaced a Triangle tube smart 50 at a friends house a couple weeks ago. Tank was only 3 years old. My friend had just purchased the house and Is having issues getting the tank warrantied due to not being original owner. I can see its TT policy but the tank is only a couple years old. Needless to say i will not be purchasing a TT for that reason.
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 167
    Options

HVACNUT said:

LT as in lifetime warranty. I have well water. Never been tested and not on a softner or filtration system. Any thoughts on what tanks hold up best. I replaced a Triangle tube smart 50 at a friends house a couple weeks ago. Tank was only 3 years old. My friend had just purchased the house and Is having issues getting the tank warrantied due to not being original owner. I can see its TT policy but the tank is only a couple years old. Needless to say i will not be purchasing a TT for that reason.
    You need to get your water tested. At least just for water hardness.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    The Viessmann VitoCell 300 tanks have a lifetime warranty to the original owner. They're the only tanks that do. There are exclusions for high chlorides or aggressive water. Test your water!!