Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Solution for adding a drain?

Options
sunlight33
sunlight33 Member Posts: 378
My house is built on concrete slab above grade, there is no floor drain in the boiler room. If the PRV were to release water or a pipe burst water would have no where to go. What are some of the good ways to make it better? Put a sump pump on the floor? There is a sink in the room though. 

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    edited March 2021
    Options
    For a water boiler or water heater, they don’t let everything out when they start to fail, they leak slowly I think.

water detector alarms are super cheap on Amazon 
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    A lot of people put a 5 gallon bucket under the discharge pipe.
    If you pipe it to a drain, how will you know if there's a problem?
    ethicalpaulBillyO
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    A leak detection valve on the incoming water line could prevent a big flood. I'm not sure if a prv relief and fill valve trip would trigger them off?

Where does the sink drain to?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • sunlight33
    sunlight33 Member Posts: 378
    Options
    a little bit of water is fine, just don't want a fixture or a pipe burst to flood the entire floor. The sink drains to septic tank.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,006
    edited March 2021
    Options
    My personal preference would be to tap into the sink tailpiece to add an indirect drain for the relief valve. It has a water seal at the p-trap to prevent sewer gas from coming into the room and an air gap to show you if it's leaking.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    mattmia2PC7060Intplm.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    A Y branch like Alan shows would work, they are intended for dishwasher drain when there isn't a disposal. Fine for boiler or AC condensate.

Really you need a large floor drain or floor sink to keep up with a random burst pipe, especially a pressure water line.

Chop a hole in the floor and add a plastic sump and pump if you are that concerned. Of course the pump needs a discharge.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream