Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Pressure and Short Cycle?

2»

Comments

• LS123
    LS123 Member Posts: 466
    good morning @tinlau !

it is wonderful that the forum members contributions helped be more aware of your heating system plus more.

I would have as much divers forms of heating systems etc. I live in north east CT. Lst summer we lost about 5 days of electricity due to high wind etc. Where I live at we dont have city water or gas lines. So we depend on electricity to have water. without some form of electricity to power the water pump, people would be in very difficult position. pressurized water tank holds only about 10 gallons, thats few flushes of the toilet at 1.28 gallons per flush ( I believe they are 1.28 gallons) we used to have old toilets that used about 3 or 4 gallons a plush. Beside the toilet, if you were out of electricity 5 days with little kids, life can be more than difficult. I shared my old generator with my neighbor who had very young children. Then replaced the old one with a new generator that can run on both gasoline and propane.

I would not replace my primary heating from oil to electricity because of above reasoons, but looking in to getting heat pumps 1) i hear lots of good things plus, 2) now they are more efficient and high tech.

Right now solar is not an option for us.

Primary reason having diversified heating, cooling systems is because of primary dependency on one form of energy system could only hinder ability to sustain life style we are used to. I think of power outage we had in 2003 or 2005 that was whole north east (inducing NYC), then in 2010 or 11 we had high wind that left us without electricity for little while, and power outages in California during wild fires, most recently Texas ( It was definitely wind power to blame and I am not stupid anywhere near to believe some of the politicians blaming wind power etc.

I am also considering much smaller inverter generator that is much smaller and use for less fuel, with that I can power both the oil burner, fridge, and water pump. The one I have would run 8 hours with propane, about 10 house with gasoline and more than I need. Its duel fuel 9500 watts regular and 12500 peak. But the 9500 watts one will power my whole house , can run few hours at a time. has a remote start and off feature that give me more control such as running it every few hours without going outside.

Anyhow, just sharing my take of diversified dependency on keeping the house running in case of natural or man made disaster ( such as cyber attach on the electric grid)

** Only wish I had known that I could have got a generator that reduce the fuel consumption when the electricity load has reduced, There is a word for it... I just cant remember :)

Best!
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • dabrakeman
    dabrakeman Member Posts: 538
    During our Polar Vortex of 2014 I had to have my boiler replaced. Used space heaters for about a little over a week just enough to keep plumbings from freezing in select areas and ended up with a $750 electric bill for the month. You may be able to find a larger radiator for your sons room and the balance (unbalance) your system a bit to get steam there as early as possible. If at a later time you don't want the room warmer the larger radiator wouldn't hurt anything. Just vent it slower.
  • LS123
    LS123 Member Posts: 466
    correction:
    ( It was definitely NOT wind power to blame and I am not stupid anywhere near to believe some of the politicians blaming wind power etc.
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    Yeah resistive electric heating is a killer. Even oil is better 😅
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    LS123