Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler going for a swim

Options
atmonifa
atmonifa Member Posts: 15
Hi all. My normally well behaved 1 pipe steam system started needing more water (every 4-5 days) this winter so I followed the advice on this forum to overfill boiler today and sure enough, water started pouring from bottom.

I assume I'll be needing a new boiler. I am in NJ so still have another 4-6 weeks to the heating season. Is it dangerous to continue to use the boiler (oil) ? If I can keep it going safely until spring I can better plan for work to replace

Thank you in advance for input
Monika

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    No, it shouldn't be dangerous. The one real consideration is you don't want the burner assembly or any o the controls to get wet. It sounds as though the leak is above the water line, so you may notice more humidity (depending a just where it is). You may also notice that it takes longer to heat the house -- though it will -- and that you use more oil.

But take your time. Find a good contractor (try @EzzyT ) and get the replacement sized and done right.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,296
    Options
    @atmonifa the best way to reach me would be at 2018878856.
    Where in NJ are you located?
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    @atmonifa

Just keep you eye on the water level you don't want it to run dry. If you leave the house for an extended period you may want to shut the boiler off. Nothing will freeze now. But you will know what to do by how much water you have to add.

There are some of the best contractors in NJ try @EzzyT or @clammy The contractor you choose it the most important thing. Many will say they know steam but few do. You won't go wrong with the two listed above
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    One safety concern is that you have a low water cut off device working as you run out of water. Perhaps you have one and have to manually add water which is what brought this to your attention.
  • atmonifa
    Options
    Thank you for quick reply. EzzyT replaced my low water cutoff my first winter in this house. He noted some things prior owners did that meant likely a decrease to the life expectancy of the boiler, but between some tweaks he made and me replacing the vents on the main and rads - I was able to squeeze 5 more good years out of it. I'll have to dig up his card again.
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    EzzyT said:

@atmonifa the best way to reach me would be at 2018878856.
    Where in NJ are you located?

this one ?
    known to beat dead horses
  • atmonifa
    Options
    @ezzyT - I sent you msg, will call this week.

Thanks everyone for responses - I am always amazed at how quickly you all provide helpful and expert advise on this forum. I am lucky to be able to work from home these days so I can babysit and add water or worse case can use the wood stove to keep house warm when it isn't so windy!
    Grallert