Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Venting a Cast Iron Baseboard on a 1-pipe STEAM System

Options

Hi everyone,

I have always found this forum so helpful, but I have never posted a question before. 
I'm renovating a bedroom, in which there was an 8 feet long cast iron baseboard. The baseboard was installed as a single/one-pipe radiator with almost no pitch; the system banged like crazy.
I'm trying to reuse this baseboard, but I'm going to install it as a 2-pipe radiator with some pitch so that the condensate exits away from stem inlet . I have beautiful sketch attached, and my question is the following:
Does it matter if I place a vent at the end of the radiator (labeled A on the sketch) vs placing it at the dry return (labeled B on the sketch)?

Thank you for all your help.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    No, so long as it is high enough that the water in the return can't back up to it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Loco_Armando
  • Loco_Armando
    Loco_Armando Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Jamie,
    That's what I thought. 
    The only reason why I would put it on point B is because my wife didn't like the 'click' the vent does once it closes... Don't ask me why 😂😂😂
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Don't ever ask... "yes, dear"
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England