Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil Mclain Ultra 155 leak

Options
hcpatel78
hcpatel78 Member Posts: 151
Hi just try to figure out why there is constantly leak from my boiler. There is small temperature/pressure check valve and it's constantly leak in my boiler. Up on further investigation I found out expansion tank was failed. Replaced that and the leak is still there from the check valve. Please see attached pictures. I need help to start this boiler back. This boiler is equiped with indirect DHW. 

Thank you,
Hiren Patel

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    There may be a leak between the fresh water, and the indirect coil.
    There should be a valve to close off the water entering the indirect. Close that off and see if the leak stops from the pressure relief valve. The only cure may be a replacement indirect tank.—NBC
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    That looks like a manual bleed valve. If tightening it won't stop it from leaking, then replace it.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Thats the adapter for the temperature probe on the tridicator gauge. 
    The gauge has separate probes for temperature and pressure. Looks like the pressure side is bad as well.
    Look in the manual for replacement parts and order a new gauge. 
    In the meantime you can remove the adapter and install a 3/8 black plug.
    You need to drop the pressure first of course. 
  • hcpatel78
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Thank you all. I have ordered eplacement part and I will report back with results.
    Thanks again.
    Hiren
    Thank you,
    Hiren Patel
  • hcpatel78
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I replaced the valve and leak stopped. But boiler is locked out after few hours with maintenance required message displaying on panel. This unit never been serviced since last 6 to 8 years.

Thank you,
    Hiren Patel
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    First, do not throw away the probe adapter. You'll need it when the new part comes.
    The maintenance reminder can be reset but it definitely needs to be done asap. Make sure they're familiar with the Ultra gas and to bring an Ultra maintenance kit so it can be cleaned properly. 
    The hight temp lockout is because there's no water moving through the boiler. Its probably air locked from the leak. There should be an automatic feed valve with a manual valve before that. Make sure the valve is open. You might need to purge through the boiler. 
    Post some pics from about 10 feet away if you can't get the water flowing and we'll try to walk you through it. 
  • hcpatel78
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Ok thank you. It makes sense.
    I spoke with tech support and diagnose further with contractor menu. It found out that priority 1 is domestic indirect water heating tank and that circulator is scorching hot. Looks like that is shot.
    Rep recommended to replace couple of circulator. One for DHW and another for primary loop.
    I am going to replace both and let's see what happens, also i will purge as you suggested.

I will report it here.
    Thank you for the guidance.
    Hiren
    Thank you,
    Hiren Patel
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    Purge first. The circs might be ok.
    GrallertJohnNYkcoppGGross
  • hcpatel78
    Options
    Got it. Thank you for your advise.
    Hiren
    Thank you,
    Hiren Patel
  • hcpatel78
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I purge the system and started up.
    The strange thing is indirect tank was continuously making gargling noise during that purge. Somehow the pressure gage on the boiler unit wasn't showing any pressure reading. It was stuck at zero. That seems doubtful to me.
    Thank you,
    Hiren Patel

Thank you,
    Hiren Patel
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    You might need to purge all the loops.
    I noticed the pressure was at zero. The tridicator has two leads. One for temperature and one for pressure. So the replacement you ordered will rectify that as well.
  • hcpatel78
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Thank you all
    System running well without any problem.
    Hiren
    Thank you,
    Hiren Patel
  • MJV
    MJV Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi - sorry to revive an old thread but I had the same pressure sensor line break on my Ultra 155. I replaced the gauge with a new factory part and threaded in the new pressure sensor. I fired up the boiler by requesting domestic hot water and saw that the temperature gauge rise but the pressure sensor remained reading zero. Is there anything I need to do to get the pressure sensor seated and reading properly? it's not leaking at the sensor but the copper tube coming out of the sensor seems a little loose. Thanks!
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    The capillary is loose around the sensor nut? Like you can wiggle it in and out? And it's not leaking? 
    Did you use tephlon tape or compound or both?
    Try it again. Make sure there's no blockage in the bung, and only use a light coat of compound. 
    The tridicator with dual sensors has always been problematic. On the series 4 they switched to a standard tridicator that pipes in on the primary manifold. 

• Tim_D
    Tim_D Member Posts: 128
    Options
    The maintenance reminder came up because the control does not properly store the installation and last maintenance dates once powered down. Its a known issue. Just restore the dates and reset the maintenance reminder. If it has been 6 years or more, have it serviced.