Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

L8124A

Options
RachelV1976
RachelV1976 Member Posts: 1
Hi. I have a Willamson boiler. Its for my hot water and baseboard heat. The hot water works fine but I dont have any heat. The baseboards are cold. There is a brand new thermostat installed. Im freezing.  Lol I hope someone can help me as to why I have hot water but its not running the heat. Thank you!

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    For starters there's not enough water in the boiler. Most likely because it appears to be leaking from many places.
    Better get a pro in there. If that boiler dry fires, it's toast.
    Basic troubleshooting would be:
    -Isolate and check bladder expansion tank. If steel tank, drain.
    -Make sure there's enough water in the system, confirm with a separate known good gauge.
    -Bleed and purge of all air, recharge steel expansion tank. If bladder type, ignore because you already checked it.
    -Jump T-T on the aquastat to see if circulator comes on. If it does, reconnect T-T, call for heat, see if circulator comes on. If it doesn't and there's no electrical output to the circulator, replace aquastat, preferably something from this century.
    -Confirm circulator is actually circulating, if not, replace circulator.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Grallert
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options
    Did you just move into this home? Agreed all that rust is not a good sign. Perhaps get a GOOD tech on site to evaluate!

Where is this, there might be a member nearby?
  • RachelV1976
    Options
    This was installed in 2006. Im in Taunton,MA. 
  • RachelV1976
    Options
    My husband thinks it the thing that calls for the heat. Sorry I dont know what its called. Lol
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options

This was installed in 2006. Im in Taunton,MA. 

https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/
  • RachelV1976
    Options
    Ty!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    edited March 2021
    Options
    @RachelV1976

Lavimoniere P & H New Bedford. Don't know if he goes that far
    SuperTech
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 167
    Options

@RachelV1976

Lavimoniere P & H New Bedford. Don't know if he goes that far

"It's a leaker"
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    If you have hot water but no heat the problem would be lack of circulation . That control powers the burner and heat circulator . As Steve pointed out if correct the pressure looks low .the normal pressure should be 12#-15# ... The pressure reducing valve maintains the boiler pressure . It would be a bell shape valve with a fast fill lever .. It may be shut off or stuck .. That would be the first I would address .

New thermostat ? Just new and problem happen ? Is it wired correctly ?

With a voltmeter does the circulator get power ?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    @bucksnort

"It's a leaker momma it's a leaker"
    bucksnort
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I'm surprised that no one has suggested they get a new home yet. Since there is a little rust on the boiler that must at least be replaced. Heaven forbid someone may have already realized that the solder joint on the cold water inlet might be the source of the rust.

Did anyone notice the air vent looks new, but the reducing coupling is covered with rust? Who does that kind of thing? Replacing an inexpensive air vent when a completely new system will have a much higher profit.

These comments are brought to you from the National Sarcasm Society

Yea, like we need YOUR support.

Seriously, of the many things that could cause your issue, two items stand out. #1 Is that you recently changed the thermostat. Who? What? Where? When? if the problem started at the same time as the thermostat replacement, I would look there first.
    #2 is the low boiler pressure. if that gauge is working, then the pipes to the radiators or the radiators themselves may have air in them. The pump you have on a heating system is not powerful enough to move water past an air pocket in the "closed system". It is only strong enough to circulate the water thru the "closed system" which means the weight of the water going up is offset by the weight of the water coming down. much like a Ferris wheel. The motor on the wheel does not have to lift your husband's weight up to the top as long as someone else on the other side is also on the way down.

Those are the two places to start. The thermostat and Purge air from the system.

Yours truly,
    Mr.Ed

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Grallert
  • RachelV1976
    Options
    The it was happening before the new thermostat was replaced. Thank you for all your help everyone! My husband will look into your recommendations. 😊
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    Options
    @RachelV1976
    If you look at my profile, there is a video that I like that explains the way to purge air from a heating system. If your heating system is connected to Baseboard radiators, It may help him to get the air out.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• RachelV1976
    Options
    Ty Ed. My husband watched it and he is going to try it today 😊