Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Grundfos circulator

rickster05
rickster05 Member Posts: 39
Will a Grundfos circulator allow for a “thermosyphon” condition?  2nd floor registers are slightly warm and thermostat is off.  Should mention it’s a wood boiler that circulates 165-180 degree water for 12 hrs/day.

Tarm Solo Plus wood boiler with 600 gal storage tank using repurposed cast iron radiators.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,123
    I would expect them to, yes -- after all, there's no real obstacle in the path other than the impellor.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 888
    You could install the flow checks that are sold with the Grundfos circulators.
  • rickster05
    rickster05 Member Posts: 39
    Thanks guys.  That’s what I thought.  My wife thought something was wrong.  Guess I will just shut off the supply side on the circulator so that it doesn’t continue to happen...Probably will remove the battery from the thermostat as a safety.
    Tarm Solo Plus wood boiler with 600 gal storage tank using repurposed cast iron radiators.
  • Campyman
    Campyman Member Posts: 0
    Even if the pumps are off you'll still see the pipes warm a little upstairs. My advice is install a some spring checks if you really need to control the temp better.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,459
    So, do the three pipes on the left happen to be return pipes? If so, then I see a big problem there. Could yo show us all the piping there so we can see how it all hooks up?
    Rick
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 904
    Im curious as well, is the green taco pump a loop pump? If so, it may be unnecessary leading to more ghost flows. Would like to see the whole piping layout
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 2,031
    IFC or spring checks would do wonders here, but the fact that your Taco primary circ is pushing right at the Grundfos zone circs isn't helping matters either. Why does it run 12 hours a day with no heat call?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,808
    I think the green circulator moves flow thru the coils in the storage tank? If so the piping is not correct.
    Show us the piping routing to the right.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream