Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viessmann Vitola 200 with Ecobee smart thermostat

Options
coreslamnia
coreslamnia Member Posts: 1
We recently moved to a new house which has Viessmann Vitola 200 oil boiler. The house had 3 old round dial thermostats which I replaced last with 3 Ecobee thermostats. The heating system doesn't seem to be following my thermostats at all. It is doing its own thing. The house seems cold at times and very hot at certain times. Is this system compatible with Ecobee thermostats?

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    They should be compatible with a few modifications to the Ecobee. I would call tech. support to get it resolved.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    coreslamnia
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    You should be able to control with the Ecobees OK -- but if the system is setup with outdoor reset to gain the full efficiency of the Viessman, it won't work. You either have to have one or the other. If you want the Ecobees to control, disable the outdoor reset.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    coreslamnia
  • coreslamnia
    Options

There is an outdoor sensor wired to the boiler. I will check if I can disable it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Just remember that if you do disable the outdoor reset, the ability of the boiler to modulate -- and condense -- will be very limited if at all, and you will lose the higher efficiency...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Canucker
  • coreslamnia
    Options
    I see. Given that, are indoor thermostats even required for this system?
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Viessmann does not readily accept other thermostats. Use the appropriate Viessmann Vitotrol for the model you have. Your temperature fluctuations indicates coding (and timer) may need adjustments. I presume you're using the Vitotronic 200?
  • coreslamnia
    Options
    Yes, I have Vitotronic 200.