Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help

2»

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    edited March 2021
    @teeRN1324

The title of your post is HELP. We would like to. Your present contractor is incompetent at best. Several posters including me have asked for your approximate location and for you to check "find a contractor" on this site.

Why do you keep letting the same people back in?

If you go to a restaurant and the food is bad or overpriced do you go back???
    mattmia2bucksnortSuperTech
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    You need to get someone to measure the output current of the thermocouple. It might be the flame is just barely hitting it enough to just make the gas valve open, and you need to make some kind of adjustment to the pilot flame. Maybe it is just a dirty pilot flame orifice.
    Rick
    mattmia2SuperTechteeRN1324
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    Or, given the apparent lack of skill of the people who have been working on it, they don't even understand how a standing pilot system works and don't know what any of it should look like. Could also be one of the other safeties given the weird sound.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    edited March 2021
    Was the pilot out when they replaced the thermocouple? if it was the thermocouple, the pilot would have been out.

Thinking about it some more, I'm not at all convinced the scraping isn't the vent damper since if that is sticking and doesn't open the boiler won't fire.

EDIT: Looking at the Larrs manual, I think that is an intermittent pilot valve so you can't tell if the thermocouple is bad by the pilot going out, you have to use a meter.
    CanuckerteeRN1324
  • teeRN1324
    teeRN1324 Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2021
    I was told a while ago if the heat keeps going off you’ll need a new gas valve.. the coupler was changed twice ,sure it lasts for a month or so but the valve will be needed...they said it’s expensive for $, but If your charging me $ for the coupler and I’ll need the valve anyway soon I would of changed the valve .but it’s no fault of mine own for leaving my boyfriend alone and he didn’t remember we had the coupler changed 2xs prior (he had brain surgery). Being this system is only 11yrs old for the past 2 hrs I spent over $ for labor, parts,and walk through the door fee, I could of just switched out for a whole new system.....oh well....hopefully spring comes soon so I can cut the heat and deal with it next year......
  • teeRN1324
    teeRN1324 Member Posts: 25

@teeRN1324

The title of your post is HELP. We would like to. Your present contractor is incompetent at best. Several posters including me have asked for your approximate location and for you to check "find a contractor" on this site.

Why do you keep letting the same people back in?

If you go to a restaurant and the food is bad or overpriced do you go back???

I had to call the same guys back because I had paid them to do all tht work the prior day and not truly knowing what was the problem now with the heat not going on I wasn’t going to call another company to come in if it was the issue with the work they just did.