Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thanks

I lurk around here quite a bit. What you all do is amazing to me. You have a love and dedication to your craft that I understand and can relate to, but how exactly you do some of the things you do is a mystery to me. The combination of brute strength, endurance, physics, engineering, business acumen, and in some cases psychology that you utilize to get things done is phenomenal.

Saturday night, we got a no heat call from a young couple that lives in a very small tenant house we have. I called a local HVAC Company, that sent a technician out and – long story short – pronounced the 25 year old furnace dead. Not only did he pronounce it dead, he spent 15 minutes showing me all of the problems. I’ve listened to you people for a few years now. What he was saying made (some) sense to me. On a Saturday night at nearly midnight, when the roads were nearly impassable, the temperature was below zero, and I’m guessing this young technician’s friends were all out having a good time. The young couple agreed to go stay with their parents for Saturday and Sunday nights and I set out to find a company that could install a new furnace.

I tried a few places on Sunday morning, some of which were too busy, some that didn’t answer, and one that seemed a little shady. The estimator for the HVAC Company that had sent the tech out texted me back at 8:30am on Sunday. He was headed to church with his family, but if I’d get him pictures of the house and ductwork, dimensions of the rooms, windows, doors, attic insulation and electrical panel, he would get me an estimate. From what I have learned on this site, I knew this was the guy. He wasn’t just going to slap in the furnace that they had on hand. He was going to install what was needed – and what was right. He also didn’t let a snowstorm, cold and drifting rural roads stop him. He used technology to get the information he needed.

Yesterday, 2 kids from the HVAC Company (I’m sure they were in their 20’s, but everyone under 40 is a kid to me) trudged through the snow with a new furnace to the dungeon of the little house, worked in the extreme cold and did a remarkable, professional job of installing the new furnace in just a few hours.

It’s 11 degrees below zero this morning. The house is warm and safe. A combination of understanding tenants; a tech that took the time to explain what he’d done and what was wrong; an estimator that went above and beyond to do his craft correctly; 2 tough, corn fed installers; and the folks on this site that take the time to help novices like me understand the ‘why’ made this work out better than I could have hoped.

Keep doing what you do!

GrallertErin Holohan HaskellYoungplumberAlan (California Radiant) ForbesLarry Weingartenratiokcopp

Comments

• Thanks for the story. It's customers like you that make it all worthwhile.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    ratio