Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ignition issue

Options
mburg
mburg Member Posts: 46
I am working on a Lennox G40UH-36A-070-15. It’s a natural gas 80% direct ignition furnace. It intermittently does not light off. The gas valve is energized, the burner manifold has 3.5” Wc, the offices and burners are clean. This issue may happen a few times in a row and than may not happen again all day. It’s very sporadic. Hopefully someone has a thought on what could be causing this. 

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,166
    Options
    First thing you have to do is check the status of the diagnostic LEDs when the problem occurs.  This will point you in the direction of where to look for the problem.  I know its tough to do when the problem is intermittent. 
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    edited February 2021
    Options
    So you’ve got a pilot, the gas valve opens, and no ignition? Check your draft through the flue and heat exchanger. Play with your combustion air. You need 5%-15% natural gas for combustion and I suspect your air/gas mixture is being diluted. 
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    When you say “the burners are clean”, what does that mean? 

Have they been removed, washed in hot water, and blown out with compressed air? If not, then they may not be truly clean even though they appear to be. Particular attention must be paid to the crossover passages that connect the burners.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.