Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can I control 2 circulator pumps with 1 thermostat

ryan242
ryan242 Member Posts: 25
I have an old house with radiators throughout, there has been a 2 room addition put on years before I moved into it and they added a baseboard in each room and a thermostat back there to control a circulator just for those 2 baseboards, problem is it won’t turn on the boiler, only the main thermostat turns on the boiler, I’d like to get that circulator to run the same time as the main circulator which turns the boiler on. Right now I have a Beckett aquasmart control for the main thermostat/circulator which also controls the boiler and the other thermostat is hooked to a Honeywell Ra89a relay they just controls the circulator. Sometimes that circulator will run when the boiler is cold which is useless since it’s set up as a cold start, just trying to figure out how to get both circulators to run at the same time and eliminate the 2nd thermostat 

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    If that is what you want to do you can just wire the 2nd circulator to the same terminals on the Aquasmart. You could also wire the thermostat to the same TT terminals on the Aquasmart as well if you don't want to get rid of the second thermostat. It's not the solution that I would go with. I think the best thing you can do is to get a circulator zone control board such as the Taco SR-503. This will allow you to wire the thermostat and circulator to their own relays that will energize the circulator and switch on the boiler independent of the other zones.
    ZmanEdTheHeaterMan
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,524
    Depends......
    Piping layout/design/control strategies and wiring will have to be considered.
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    The wiring guide for your aquastat shows how to do this. A wire between the ZR terminal in the aquastat and the power for your circulator should allow you to have two independent zones that each fire the boiler on a heat call.  If you are not experienced with electrical work call someone that is.
    ryan242
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,524
    Do we know the piping layout...Two pumps could end up fighting each other.
  • ryan242
    ryan242 Member Posts: 25
    Robert_25 said:
    The wiring guide for your aquastat shows how to do this. A wire between the ZR terminal in the aquastat and the power for your circulator should allow you to have two independent zones that each fire the boiler on a heat call.  If you are not experienced with electrical work call someone that is.
    So by that you mean run a wire from the ZR terminal and wire nut in with the hot wire going to the Second circulator? I’ve done some electrical before but never on these aquastats or relays, thanks for your help
  • wcsek
    wcsek Member Posts: 1
    I have sort of the same situation. Did you solve this? I have a main zone, on thermostat, relay switch that powers a circulator. I have a 2nd small zone on its own pipe loop, on thermostat, relay switch that powers a 2nd circulator pump. Id like to run them both on the main thermostat. They both have independent pipe loops to the boiler and want them both to heat at the same time. Can I simply wire the thermostat connections to the relay switch, to the thermostat connections on the 2nd relay switch so they are both triggered by the main thermostat? Thanks
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    wcsek said:

I have sort of the same situation. Did you solve this? I have a main zone, on thermostat, relay switch that powers a circulator. I have a 2nd small zone on its own pipe loop, on thermostat, relay switch that powers a 2nd circulator pump. Id like to run them both on the main thermostat. They both have independent pipe loops to the boiler and want them both to heat at the same time. Can I simply wire the thermostat connections to the relay switch, to the thermostat connections on the 2nd relay switch so they are both triggered by the main thermostat? Thanks

You might get a better response if you started your own discussion.

The short answer is YES. but that may not be the best answer.

Take some pictures and start a new discussion. Pictures of the circulator pump and what kind of control operates the circulator pump. What is the model number of the thermostat that operates the circ. pump control. What is the main boiler control that turns on the main circ. pump and the burner

then explain your particular issue. if it is exactly the same at this one then you can reference this discussion by saying. "I believe this si the same problem as this one https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/183396/can-i-control-2-circulator-pumps-with-1-thermostat "

But I find that you get better response with a current discussion, not one dated February 2021
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics