Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler does not stay lit

Just finished installing a new system. I'm running a 120,000 btu Noritz 661 NG DV. I believe I have all the air out of the lines and system. The boiler fired up and ran quiet for about 30 min. Raised the line temp by 10 degrees F. The boiler flame then shut down, but the display indicator shows fluid flow still but the burner does not light. It has no error codes. Any thoughts? Does it have a duty cycle?

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,186
    what were the numbers from the combustion analysis?
  • Flightmedic911
    Flightmedic911 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry for my ignorance. I have no idea what you are referring to. 
  • Flightmedic911
    If it helps, when it runs I have a very clean blue flame, no dead spots, no flickering. 
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,991
    edited February 2021
    The ignorance is ours. Who exactly installed the boiler?  And do they have any boiler experience?
    If you installed the boiler and have zero experience, then I don't believe you'll get advice on combustion adjustments. I qualified tech is needed. 
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,046

If it helps, when it runs I have a very clean blue flame, no dead spots, no flickering. 

Products of Combustion cannot be seen. A complete combustion analyses is required.

Get your oil supplier out to set up that "System" properly!
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,172
    Oil or gas?
  • Flightmedic911
    NG
  • Flightmedic911
    I have contacted my HVAC tech. Problem is he is about 2 weeks out because of no heat problems for other customers. Normally we work together and troubleshoot but he is a bit busy. 
  • JUGHNE
    Check air inlet and exhaust for frost over.
    bucksnort
  • JUGHNE
    Check air inlet and exhaust for frost over.
    Flightmedic911
  • HVACNUT
    Who installed the boiler?
  • pecmsg
    The OP
    Just finished installing a new system. I'm running a 120,000 btu Noritz 661 NG DV. I believe I have all the air out of the lines and system.
  • Flightmedic911
    Inlet and exhaust are clear. 
    Just to clarify I am only looking for simple things to check before I waste his time. Something that I may have overlooked. I don't screw around with gas
  • JUGHNE
    Was the NG piping upgraded from what might have there previously?

Or if super cold where you are the utility may be under built for the conditions.
    bucksnort
  • pecmsg
    I have no problem with a Homeowner doing some of the work but always advise before starting let me be there to do the actual start up. I WILL see things that you will miss.
  • Flightmedic911
    It was new construction. I ran 1" underground line from the meter to the barn, about 45-50 feet. Ran 3/4" black pipe from just inside the building to the heater, an additional 8'. 
    The venting is about 1' inlet and 3' exhaust, so very short. I will double check the vent for frost, the fan seems loud. Thank you for assisting. 
  • mattmia2
    Did anyone do the combustion analysis? There is a whole page in the manual about it with numerous danger boxes for a reason.
    bucksnort
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 167
    mattmia2 said:

Did anyone do the combustion analysis? There is a whole page in the manual about it with numerous danger boxes for a reason.

He could be sucking in exhaust air into his intake.
    mattmia2
  • Flightmedic911
    Problem solved. The intake screen for the water inlet was plugged, thus preventing enough pressure to trigger the burner to light. Thanks to those who gave insight on what to look for. 
    mattmia2bucksnort
  • HVACNUT
    The screen on the pressure reducing valve or something in the boiler? Is it a new PRV?
  • mattmia2
    HVACNUT said:

The screen on the pressure reducing valve or something in the boiler? Is it a new PRV?

I think that is actually a tankless water heater that is being used as a heating boiler.