Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hammering in new hot water loop

Options
Hi All-I recently had a hot water loop replaced and have started experiencing loud hammering in the hot water loop pipes (which I never experienced prior). I was told by the installer a skim and squip could help but was wondering if the hammer could be caused by air trapped in the line. There was a recommendation to purge the line and am would like to trythat before doing the skim but need some advice on how to do it. I included a few pictures below and I can tell you the hot water loop is piped directly off the boiler. The blue line indicates the hot water loop coming off the boiler that goes up to the first floor.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• mbachelor
    mbachelor Member Posts: 15
    Options

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Cant really se much from the pix. Is there a heat exchanger?
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Options
    You cant use an air scoop and air vent on a hot water loop off a steam boiler. It will suck in air as the water pressure is below atmospheric above the water line. It will never work. Although some vents have check valves. But It’s still pointless. You’ll always have tiny bubbles in an open loop system.

The loop needs to be filled/purged to work. Most will not self prime.

There needs to be a bypass to blend return water with supply water to keep it under 180 ideally, at least under 200.

Needs to have a strainer to protect the pump.
    ethicalpaulmattmia2
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options

You cant use an air scoop and air vent on a hot water loop off a steam boiler. It will suck in air as the water pressure is below atmospheric above the water line. It will never work. Although some vents have check valves. But It’s still pointless. You’ll always have tiny bubbles in an open loop system.

The loop needs to be filled/purged to work. Most will not self prime.

There needs to be a bypass to blend return water with supply water to keep it under 180 ideally, at least under 200.

Needs to have a strainer to protect the pump.

Unless there is a heat exchanger on the hot water loop. Then he is fine.
    mattmia2