Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Stumped pro plumbers with radiator noises

Options
SamGabrielson
SamGabrielson Member Posts: 1
edited February 2021 in Strictly Steam
I have paid plumbers to fix my radiator noises with no success and hate wasting money. Radiators/pipes are pitched correctly, air vents have been replaced twice, valves are 100% open, pro plumbers put in additive to clean scale (only made boiler louder), no loud water banging/hammering much more of a gurgle/boiling/rattling sound from inside the radiator. One radiator air vent spits water regardless of the type of vent (tried 3 of them). I tried to load a video with no success.. here is a link to a youtube video of it https://youtu.be/z_0ImtrMo90

I tried paying the pros to fix it because I appreciate their knowledge and expertise, but that didn't lead to answers so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    Your problem may not have to do with radiator it may have to do w your boiler . Here s a few quick question is the boiler piped to the manufactures specs ? Has the boiler been skimmed and wanded to-remove mud and sediment that accumulate in the boiler and effect the quality of steam the boiler produces . If you have wet returns have they been flushed to remove accumulated mud and rust that form after decades? Personally if there that old I always recommend replacement why cause there usually full of crap that will return to your new boiler . It’s kinda like buying a new car and putting your old cars tires on it no good and sooner or later there will be issues . Is the water level in the boiler at the correct height higher then normal water levels in a steam boiler can and will effect the boiler ability to produce dry steam . Are your steam mains insulated and pitched and supported properly ? What’s the pressure troll set for should be no more then 1.5 psi max other wise there’s always gonna be issues . If this is occurring at every radiator and all the other conditions I stated are good then I would take a look at the radiator supply valves there are a few brands which have a raised seat that makes the radiator not drain properly and hold water which can cause noise issues . When your radiator supply valves where replaced did they reduce any of the riser and are you sure they used steam rated valves and not radiator valves for a hot water radiator which has smaller internal passage and is not designed for a steam radiator and will cause issues . As for chemical cleaning agents all of which I never use there a lazy mans way to clean a boiler . If your boiler was installed properly by a professional then it would be set up w nipples and caps on the extra return tapping so that they could be removed and the boiler properly flushed wanded and skimmed to remove all oils and garbage and leave only containment free water . It s kinda funny that when the installation company quotes a job they never really include boiler cleaning they add chemicals and call it a day . This is why real steam guys charge it because they know the rules of cause and effect and exactly what the effect is from a cause and usually it’s not brain surgery you just have to know what and why of what your looking at and of course everything in between . If this is a new boiler install and they are saying this is the first time they had these issues I suggest you find some one else . Did your system do this always or is it something new ? If so then double on finding some one who has a clue . Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    That vent on that radiator does not look new . Taking old vents from other radiators isn’t a cure . At some point all radiator vents need to be replaced they don’t last forever and perform a extremely import role in the proper operation of your system . Cheap vents are exactly that cheap ,use quality vents I prefer gortons and have used for at least 15 years and on a properly piped boiler w insulated steam mains and properly vented steam mains should function properly for at least 5 years mim . I’ve had them work properly on some jobs for up to 12 years w no issues . Aside from proper near boiler piping ,main and radiator vents are extremely import in proper operation of your steam system . There really only a few moving parts on a steam system and like all things they have a life span and need to be updated at least every decade . Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Some of my Hoffman 40's are 50 years old!--NBC
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    That sounds like steam percolating through water. I've heard this before in my own home with a closed valve. Steam was still getting by, but the condensate couldn't drain back. After a while the radiator filled up and steam percolated through making that sound.

So, you addressed almost all of my above with your comments, but I have one final thing you could check. Have you verified the valve is actually opening? Sometimes through corrosion or some other mechanism the valve breaks and the disc becomes detached from the stem. So the stem may be open, but the valve is actually closed.

@clammy has some great points as well with respect to piping and such.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ethicalpaul