Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zone baseboard heat

Options
teeRN1324
teeRN1324 Member Posts: 25
edited February 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
I have a 3 zone heating baseboard..not sure if this matters but I recently about 2 weeks ago had a new hot water heater placed... I have 3 thermostats ,the one upstairs is the main one tht controls AC and heat,the thermostat in living room only controls heat and the basement only controls heat.....The only zone for heat we keep on is the living room at 70 all the time and the thermostat upstairs in bedroom we keep on 66. I’ve just noticed when the thermostat in the living room set to 70 clicks on its also heating up the baseboards upstairs even though tht one is still set to 66 and we never touch it....I’m not sure why upstairs is going on.... Why would this happen.. Thank you

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Pictures of the boiler piping would help. Take it from as far back as possible.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • teeRN1324
    Options

• teeRN1324
    Options
    Last picture blurry I didn’t mean to post tht one
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options
    The pump and the air scoop and expansion tank are in the wrong order, but that's not your problem. That junction box is also too close to the vent.

Can you take a pic of the zone valves straight on such that you can see the little lever on the bottom clearly? Either one is stuck or it is miswired. Did it ever work correctly? Did you change anything?
  • mattmia2
    Options
    It sounds like nothing changed and it did work re-reading the original post. What is the valve under the zone valves by the vent, can you get a picture of that. I think it is just a bypass but I want to make sure.
  • teeRN1324
    Options
    The only thing I recently changed was the hot water heater ...I checked the zone valves when the heat clicks on and the middle floor zone valve is opened which is correct for tht thermostat and the other 2 zones are closed but I’m still getting hot baseboards upstairs when tht thermostat is not clicked on...I’ll send the pics of zone valves. ...I’m also getting a loud clicking sound when the heat comes on for about 20secs then stops but it’s so loud and no one can tell me what it is even after showing them a video of the sound ,but I guess if the heat works the sound is ok. Who knows anymore. The amount of money I spent on these idiots coming in here to look and tell me nothing is wrong I could of bought a new system. This system is only 11yrs old.
  • teeRN1324
    Options

• teeRN1324
    Options
    Everything was working perfect besides tht loud noise previously ,so I can’t understand why 2 zones are coming on when only one is called for...
    For the loud sound one guy drained one of the pipes thinking maybe air but it didn’t fix it ...I was reading online and another guy said he had the same sound and it was the water pump(not sure where or what tht is) but I had yet another guy come in again and he said it’s not the water pump..🤦🏻‍♀️
    The sound almost sounds like something metal is trying to turn where the flame light is and it’s getting stuck on something and you hear loud clicks .
    I do have the nest thermostat controlling one zone and every tech tht comes in here says thts the worst thing to put and none of them like tht thermostat. I initially had 2 nest thermostats one was the main one upstairs but the ac wasn’t clicking on and the tech said it’s not getting power to the ac so you need another thermostat.🤷🏼‍♀️ I don’t have a mansion and I have google wifi boosters so can’t see why it wasn’t getting power and the ac unit is in the attic about a few feet away from the nest . Who knows who to trust when heating and ac aren't your forte.......now if you need a picc line,or central line bammmm I got you ,I can place it without problems are trouble shoot every issue but I went medical route not a boiler route.
    Thx for your help
  • Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 267
    Options
    The way the 5 returns are piped, you may need check valves on the the 2 zones with 2 returns each if it not a zone valve problem. When the circulator is running, it can pull the water up one return and back the other on the same zone.
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    Options

The way the 5 returns are piped, you may need check valves on the the 2 zones with 2 returns each if it not a zone valve problem. When the circulator is running, it can pull the water up one return and back the other on the same zone.

Especially since there is a tee on the supply on each zone as well.
  • mattmia2
    Options
    The scraping noise is probably the vent damper on the exhaust from the boiler. I think there is a switch somewhere on it or under its cover to tell it to stay open. If you do that and the noise goes away, that was it.
  • teeRN1324
    Options
    Ok ,thank you for your help ,at least when I call the guy for the hundredth time to check it out I can mentioned everything you said they may be the problems, ,
  • teeRN1324
    Options
    Btw. Where would my vent damper be ? Is tht where the pilot light is because thts where I hear the noise......
  • mattmia2
    Options
    the motor for the vent damper is that black round box at the back of the sheet metal vent pipe coming off the back of the boiler. The damper itself is inside that pipe. Are you sure it isn't coming from up there and just resonating in the combustion chamber? the gas valve usually makes a click when it opens and closes the various stages.
  • teeRN1324
    edited February 2021
    Options
    It’s definitely coming from the bottom where the pilot light is. After getting the new water heater it stopped for 2 weeks now it’s back ...drives me nuts and I’m just afraid it’s something not good to be hearin and my whole system might break, but no one knows what it is by my video....I called Laars the maker of my unit so maybe those guys know everything about the system and one company wanted $ just to walk through door and another was $...and they both said tht price wasn’t waved if they fixed it..crazy prices. Thts a rip,off ..I explained to one guy I’ve had many people in here and no one helps they just take their fee and say everything is fine ,if I’m paying you $ I need an answer,so the guy said ok let me do research and I’ll call you back so when I come there I can for sure fix it,he never called back 🤦🏻‍♀️