Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing steam boiler

Options
I need help choosing a new boiler, i have an old burham boiler it has a domestic hot water coil in it which is no longer need it because i have separate hot water heaters. Question is should the next boiler be the same size or should it be smaller BTU wise since im not getting a boiker with domestic water coil? Please help from tge experts

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    The domestic coil won't have anything to do with the sizing of the steam boiler. If you would like help with sizing we can walk you through that process fairly easily.

Steam boilers are sized to the radiation. So you would add up the size of all the radiators and come up with an EDR rating for the system, then that is compared directly to the nameplate rating on the boiler.

https://www.weil-mclain.com/sites/default/files/wm-boiler-replacement-guide.pdf

Start on page 9 in the above link. If you get stuck post back and we should be able to help you through.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ethicalpaulHap_Hazzard
  • Sanddy0908
    Sanddy0908 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    This is the Tag of my boiler would you recommend  grabbing a boiler withb a D.O.E of 201 MBH or 151 MBH
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    The calculations need to be done for the system size, can't properly size off of a boiler tag.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    bucksnortHap_Hazzardethicalpaul
  • jhewings
    jhewings Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Many boilers are not correctly sized. It is not a good idea to get the same size that you have now. It is better to do the calculation.
    Hap_Hazzard
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Replacing a boiler with a boiler of the same size assumes that the boiler was sized correctly to begin with and that no radiators have been added, removed or resized. Most boilers end up oversized because, every time a replacement is installed, the installer goes by the size of the existing boiler but adds a little "to be on the safe side." My own boiler is undersized because an addition was built, so they had to add a few radiators, but they didn't install a bigger boiler. Later, when they replaced the boiler, they probably got a bigger one, "to be on the safe side." but it still isn't enough for the total radiation. The only way to get a boiler of the correct size for the installed radiation is to determine the EDR of every darned radiator and add it all up. You can go a little over, but you should never go under.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Sanddy0908
    Sanddy0908 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the information  Really appreciate it. You guys are amazing! Heading back out to confirm the exact size they were. Things are starting to make sense.