Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sizing Replacement Boiler

Options
Hello

I am looking to replace a steam boiler in my grandfathers house.

The current boiler is a Peerless 61-05 STDG-SP
404 Square feet Steam
97,000 BTU/HR OF steam

Natural Gas

I went throughout the house and calculated all the radiators using Weil McLain radiation sizing chart and came up with 326 square feet of steam 78,000 btu/hr.

Should I go with a boiler that matches my calculations or one that is a closer match what is in there?

I have pictures and more information if any one can help with some knowledgeable guidance

Thanks

Comments

• bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 917
    Options
    If the steam pipes are properly insulated, there is nothing unusual about the system and you are sure of your numbers, select the new boiler to carry 326 ft.² of steam.

Oversizing of boilers and furnaces is an unfortunate but very common practice. It’s unusual to find a steam boiler that is not too large for the load.

Bburd
  • HydronicGuru
    HydronicGuru Member Posts: 13
    Options
    I assume that since you are using a Weil McLain radiation sizing chart, you intend to install a Weil McLain steam boiler. If this is the case, you have a few questions to ask.
    1. Is this the original boiler to the system? Could someone else have calculated wrong.
    2. Are your calculations correct? I only calculate a difference of 78 Sq. ft.
    3. Do you plan to install a Weil McLain?

Weil McLain would be an easier decision as the EG-40 is 325 Sq. ft. of steam with a 6 inch flue.
    While the EG-45 is 392 Sq. ft. of steam with a 6 inch flue. You would not want to lower from your calculations. However, 392 is now only a difference of 12 Sq. ft. from your current setup.
    Let's see what others suggest.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    I would use the EG-40. Don't forget the boiler has a 33% pick up factor built in
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Agreed, with a calculation of 326 get the EG-40, no way would I go to the 45 for 1 sq ft of radiation.

From everything I’ve heard, read, and seen, I’d assume the previous boiler is always oversized.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ethicalpaul