Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

low water cutoff pump control floods system

Options
theald
theald Member Posts: 11
My 16 unit apt building has one pipe steam. In december the pump control stuck and filled the system with water. A contractor came and cleaned the Mcdonnell Miller 42S water cutoff. That worked for a few weeks and it stuck again. A light tap with a hammer on the housing shuts the pump off. I installed a new 42S head and everything seemed fine for a few days and it did it again. Any ideas? Pump is new this season, unless it's the wrong one I wouldn't thinks it is drawing too much current.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,317
    Options
    Those are pretty close to bulletproof -- but. It may need to be cleaned -- thoroughly. That is, taken completely apart and scrubbed out. Float OK? For that matter, how old is it? They do have a service lie.

Also, make sure that the connections to the boiler are clear.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • theald
    Options

Those are pretty close to bulletproof -- but. It may need to be cleaned -- thoroughly. That is, taken completely apart and scrubbed out. Float OK? For that matter, how old is it? They do have a service lie.

Also, make sure that the connections to the boiler are clear.

I replaced the complete head, [float, switches etc.] 3 days ago. Checked the amp & hp rating of pump versus control. Pump only 3 months old.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Are you certain that it is the pump that overfills the boiler?
    Is there any other method of adding water to the boiler, either auto or manual feed valve?
  • theald
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

Are you certain that it is the pump that overfills the boiler?
    Is there any other method of adding water to the boiler, either auto or manual feed valve?

Yes the pump is running when I enter the boiler room.