Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Insulation/ heat loss?

Options
jgaudet
jgaudet Member Posts: 87
I had my wood boiler off today for a while and was using my oil boiler and I noticed the temp was dropping sorta fast even without a zone calling for heat. so I notice where the hole was cut out for the domestic hot water there was a little bit of insulation in there but there was big gaps and I could feel heat coming out so i got some insulation and filled it in all around! Would that have made me lose heat from from the boiler and make the boiler short cycle?  In the pic you can see the yellow insulation I just put there to fill that gap I could see inside the boiler before.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    No, that wouldn't cause the boiler to short cycle.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    STEVEusaPA
  • jgaudet
    Options
    Would it make my temp drop faster in the boiler? cause there was a lot of heat coming out of there when I felt with my hand 
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    Is the oil boiler circulating thru the wood boiler. If so the wood boiler is sending heat up it’s flue. The wood boiler needs to be isolated, pipingwise from the oil boiler. Pics or a drawing would help.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • jgaudet
    Options
    The oil boiler does not circulate through the wood boiler, but the wood boiler does circulate through my oil boiler because my domestic hot water comes out of the oil boiler.
  • jgaudet
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Heres a drawing the best i could do of my system I posted it on another discussion on this site