Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat location not working out well

Options
theald
theald Member Posts: 11
I have recently acquired a 16 unit apartment building with single pipe steam heat. The thermostat with a locked cover is located in the hallway of the middle floor. Since there are no radiators in the hallway, the tstat relies on the heat coming through the walls from the apartments. Sometimes they open windows in the hall to get the heat to come on, then the apartments get too hot. Is there a thermostat that could be in the hall under my control with a sensing bulb I could locate on the other side of the wall in an apartment?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Yes, the Honeywell VisionPro with remote sensor, which has password protection
    I would put the sensor in an upper floor location, which is more exposed to the predominant weather, (NW corner room?), and the control unit in the boiler room, or other secure location. Don’t use setbacks, but just set it and forget it. This assumes the system is well balanced, and mains properly vented, with steam arriving at all radiators simultaneously.
    Leave the old thermostat in place to give the tenants something to play with.—NBC
    STEVEusaPAtheald
  • KMSNYC
    KMSNYC Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Can several sensors work together with the Honeywell VisionPro ? I have a situation where the "coldest room" varies depending on outside conditions so I would like to have 2 sensors and the thermostat average the two, or favor the coldest, or something like that. How good is the WIFI in terms of distance?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    I had the wired sensors, because the WiFi signal strength was iffy using an Ecobee, so switched to Honeywell.
    They may have improved their wireless setup, called “Redlink”.—NBC
  • KMSNYC
    KMSNYC Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Thank you. Do the sensors average the different indoor temperatures they are reading or how do they resolve it? (I guess I should read the manual ! - and I will)
    Has the system proved satisfactory in other respects (I have a one pipe steam system)
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    edited February 2021
    Options
    The Honeywell RedLINK thermostats will average up to (iirc) 4 or 5 remote wireless sensors. They will average an unlimited number of wired remotes, counting up by squares (i.e. 2² = 4, then 9, 16, etc.).
    KMSNYC
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Keep in mind even the best technology can be foiled.
    steve
  • ksd99
    ksd99 Member Posts: 77
    Options
    I have the Redlink - love it. It’s. Works very well.
    New owner of 1 Pipe Steam Boiler - learning all I can- no real steam pro in S.W. Michigan - if you know of 1 -let me know.
    theald