Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

High Pressure in boiler and radiator banging

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can recommend someone who services the Middlesex County area of New Jersey and is an expert in gas steam heat systems to help with some issues I've been having with my steam heat.

For the past month or so I've been experiencing banging in several radiators at different times during the heating cycle and up to a half hour after the heating cycle is over. The radiators are all on one loop of the system, the other look doesn't seem to have the problem. I've also seen readings on the pressure gauge as high as 6 lbs. The Pressuretrol cut off is set at about 1 lb. with a differential of about 1.5 lbs. The high pressure shutoff doesn't shut down the system, instead, the pressure slowly decreases over the heating cycle.

The pigtail for the high pressure shutoff has been replaced, and that didn't have any impact on the pressure or the furnace not shutting off. The vents on several of the banging radiators have also been replaced with new Varivalve vents.

I'd like to have someone who knows steam well assess the system and find a solution to the banging and let me know if the high pressure cutoff is something I should be concerned about.

Any recommendations of a central New Jersey steam expert would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Try @EzzyT
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    There are several good contractors in NJ. Check "find a contractor" on this site. Try @EzzyT & @clammy
  • TomB21
    TomB21 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Jamie, EBEBRATT-Ed,

Thanks very much for the recommendation and narrowing down my search!

Tom