Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lots of banging and moving water sound in pipes

Options
philiptomasello
philiptomasello Member Posts: 5
edited February 2021 in Strictly Steam
Hi, we are having a lot of banging in our pipes and I can also hear a "whooshing" sound of water as well. In speaking to our plumber, who has steam experience, he thinks some of the piping needs to be fixed with the "equalizer". He thinks some of the pipe sizing is wrong for the condensate drain back into the boiler and that the location of the "equalizer" is also affecting things. I just want to get another opinion.

Thanks!

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,970
    Options
    Sure looks that way to me. After he corrects those recommendations, have the boiler serviced and the system inspected for any other problems that are not as easily seen as the ones you posted.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I don't think the equalizer is a problem. Where do you hear the water and the banging? Look in that area for low spots or the wrong pitch in the piping. Make sure you pressure is low and that the pigtail your Pressuretrol is mounted on isn't clogged. Also, there seems to be a significant reduction in your return piping, near the boiler. Make sure there isn't a clog at that reduction or in the smaller pipe.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    Where do you hear the "whooshing"? Where do you hear the banging? And when in the heating cycle do you hear it?

The near boiler piping is not too bad. Yes the equalizer is probably smaller than specified but we have seen WAY worse examples of headers here. I wouldn't expect that boiler to be carrying much or any water into the header and even less into the main.

The steam supply pipe is a good size (although I don't know exactly what boiler this is and can't speak to what size is specified), and the header is a good size and looks high enough. The piping layout is correct from what I can see.

What does the water level do during the firing cycle?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • philiptomasello
    edited February 2021
    Options
    One other thing to mention is that I am having to fill up the water pretty significantly once a week. Here are two photos one week apart. There was a small drip, that was just repaired, at one of the radiator valves, but that doesn't seem significant enough to cause this.

• philiptomasello
    Options
    the water level goes up and down a lot during the cycle. He said that pointed to an issue as well. He said it shouldn't change as drastically if things are done better.
  • philiptomasello
    Options
    I hear the banging throughout the house. Although, it seems to be at parts that are a bit further away from the boiler.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    With that much water loss, you want to find your water leak before investing more into the boiler.
    Do you have any return pipes under the floor or any pipes in the basement that you cannot see.
  • philiptomasello
    Options
    @Intplm. , you said that it sure looks that way. What stands out to you as being an issue?
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    the water level goes up and down a lot during the cycle.

Can you define what is "a lot" ?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el