Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water Testing?

I just hooked up my last loops and the purge water seemed "fizzy" and had a slight soap smell.
Natural Gas Water Heater heat source, SS pump and heat exchanger for hand wash water. Brass fittings and air elimination, manifold, valves etc all washed thoroughly before assembly. Closed loop system with a bladder type expansion tank. Filled with distilled water. Aprox 50 gal total. 
Should I test my water for ph? Anything else? Regularly or once and done as it's a closed system? Can I use the strips like my coolant test kit for my diesels? What do I use to change the ph if needed? Or just call th plumber n have them do it....
Any opinions or advice greatly appreciated. I'm shiftwork so it takes me awhile to respond....
Thanks! Rob 

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,691
    Cloudy or fizzy water may just be dissolved air that has not come out of solution. You need to run the system up to temperature to help displace dissolved air, the hotter, the quicker.

I would at least check Ph, TDS and hardness, after a weeks worth or run. Ph is usually low, maybe even in the 6's with distilled or purified water. It should buffer up when exposed to the metals. Adding a hydronic conditioner is good insurance.
    Id use a meter that reads out a number, not just a color strip. All; the equipment manufacturers show an acceptable water spec.

Buy a 12 oz aerosol can of Fernox or Rhomar and squirt it in.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream