Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas boiler question

Options
maroo
maroo Member Posts: 30
When the gas boiler starts cycling on it started today making a scraping noise it only does it once when it first cycles on then there’s this tapping noise that comes from the vents. What could be going on?

Comments

• maroo
    Options
    When the gas boiler starts cycling I keep hearing these noises through the vents first it was the bathroom vent now it’s the one in my room and kitchen it sounds like a crackling type of noise but it only occurs while the boiler is cycling then it stops. I didn’t hear this noise last winter and I’m concerned. Does anyone know what it could be? 
  • maroo
    Options
    It’s like a crackling tapping noise I want to add. More so like a tapping sound 
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Auto vent dampers make scrapping/scratching sound when they open before boiler fires.
    Sound should last less than maybe 10 seconds.

What are the "vents" you mention. Send pictures of them and boiler.

• maroo
    Options

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    That looks like baseboard hot water heaters, actually convectors.
    There is usually a 3/4" copper tube with aluminum fins on the tube. The copper tube gets hot and expands a little as it heats up. Contracts when it cools. The higher the temperature the more it expands.
    The fins are important as that makes the air move over the tube (convect) and heat up. If fins are dirty or bent then air movement in impeded and will not heat so well.

The tube is mounted on several plastic pads that allow it to move with expansion.
    It may have a tinging sound as this happens.
    If you hear a water fall or running water sound then the BB may have air in it and not heat so well.

Have you found your vent damper device?
    Picture of the boiler showing all piping will be good.....back up.