Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water in Steam Radiator

Options
skinz96
skinz96 Member Posts: 2
edited February 2021 in Strictly Steam
I have a recessed cast iron 6 foot wide steam radiator on a single pipe steam heating system. After a few days, of normal heating operation, there seems to be a lot of water stuck in the radiator. I have to use a small hand lotion pump to siphon the excess water out of there radiator for it to function properly again. To do this, I take off the vent valve and stick a tube inside. I tried tilting the radiator more to try to ensure that it drains back but since it is a recessed radiator, there isn't much higher I can pitch it. All my other radiators are working fine. I have noticed when I have the gorton vent on, it spews more water out than the Hoffman special 1A vent. Could it be condensate building up? Is the vent too open? Should I restrict less air flow? I have used the following vents: hoffman special 1a vent. Gorton C vent, vari-valve quick vent, and the hoffman 40 vent. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    Well, it is condensate building up, of course. Make sure that the inlet valve is fully open, for starters, then give it as much pitch towards the valve as you can -- on a six foot long radiator, a full inch of pitch from end to end wouldn't be too much. The fact that you can pump the water out from the vent end means that you have nowhere near enough pitch.

If water is building up in there like that, there really isn't any vent which isn't going to spit at you. The two you mention are about as good as they get that way.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • skinz96
    skinz96 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks,
    The inlet is fully open. As I mentioned, the radiator is recessed into the wall and I have pitched it as high as possible. Do you think I should try closing the vent? The Hoffman 1A vent that I have is adjustable. Its nearly open all the way. Should I set it to be less air flow? Will a lower setting restrict the steam from reaching this radiator?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    A smaller vent will reduce the steam reaching the radiator -- and the condensate produced. But if it's pooling in the vent end, it's going to build up again...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England