Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 zone boiler one zone will only provide heat if other is on

Options
Itsbroke
Itsbroke Member Posts: 2
So I’ve got a 2 zone propane boiler and the #1zone works fine on its own but other #2zone will only send heat if zone 1 is on .

Comments

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,440
    edited January 2021
    Options
    One flo-chek is in an open position and one is in an operating position. Which is zone 1 and which is zone 2?

Is this problem something new? Have you changed anything?

Maybe the weight is stuck, open up the flo-chek that is operational. That's the one with the short screw on top.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/Watts-0856760-Install-Instructions.pdf

It seems to me to be an unusual piping configuration.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    so 1 circulator pumping into the return of the boiler, the other pumping zone 2 on the supply of the boiler?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    For clarity in my mind -- since this may be a control problem. If zone 1 is calling for heat, the zone circulator runs and the boiler runs and you get heat in zone 1. If zone 2 only is calling for heat, neither the circulator nor the boiler runs? If both zones are calling for heat, the zone circulator runs and the boiler runs and both zones get heat?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Itsbroke
    Itsbroke Member Posts: 2
    Options
    No this is not a new problem I bought the building a year ago and this is the way it’s always been .
    Jamie yes you are correct 
    so it I turn thermastat up for zone 2 ( while zone 1 is off ) you can hear things click in but the boiler doesn’t fire . 
    If zone 1is on and I turn up zone 2 that I get heat in both zones
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    Ah good. Progress. Now -- there are zone valves? If so, what should happen is that the thermostat calls for heat and the corresponding zone valve opens. That should close what is called an end switch on the zone valve, and that, in turn, should turn on the circulator and the boiler (if the boiler aquastat is also saying go). What I'm wondering is... can you trace the wiring from the zone valve end switches and see where it goes? Maybe make a drawing of how it is wired? My suspicion is that the somehow the end switch from zone 2 is miswired -- or isn't working at all.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England