Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rad vent cycling rapidly can this be normal? Adventures with different vents

I put one of the more expensive brands of rad vents on a particular rad, expanding liquid type vent, less than one season old. It will rapidly cycle every four seconds or so, pffffft TING!, pffffft TING! over and over. It's in a bedroom, so this is a little annoying. What is up with this. I seem to recall it also behaved this way on a different rad in the past, before I banished it to my 'spares' pile.

The prior vent I had on this rad was an expensive bi-metal type. After less than two seasons, the bi-metal vent hissed for minutes on end, like maybe it wasn't closing. Hard to tell. I soaked it in vinegar for a few hours. The vinegar turned blue. When I threw it back on the rad, no change, behaved the same way.

The new vent I currently have on this rad is a different expensive brand of expanding liquid type. This is a real beauty. Despite a standard size hole, man, this radiator is hot hot hot now. Why? In any event, although it is a little quieter, I still hear a a surprising amount of not-as-loud air/damp air/steam/who knows movement out of the rad for minutes on end. The breathing in seems to be less noticeable.

On a different bedroom rad, same expensive bi-metal brand as the other I tried to clean, fast variant (occupant had complained of cold), it started continuously rattling after less than two seasons. So I took that one off, reached into my 'spares' pile, and threw on what a lot of people say is a cheaply constructed bi-metal. This one is silent and the radiator heats fine, no complaints. Go figure. I have this same less-well-regarded bi-metal brand on a different radiator for two seasons now, and that one, too, is completely silent, and the radiator heats fine. Go figure.

I think I have tried every vent brand now. It seems more art than science. It also seems like quality control may be a bit uneven.

Comments