Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why side taps for space heating off of gas DWH?

Options
Jells
Jells Member Posts: 566
I'm trying to figure out why to use the tanks with side taps rather than using the regular dip tube and top tap. I've installed both, and can't see difference.

Comments

• Jells
    Options
    Access. 
    If that were the case then why promote it solely for space heating and not general usage? 
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Why use a domestic hot water heater for space heating at all? It's not meant for that use.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    SuperTech
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    edited January 2021
    Options
    The side pipe one can fit nicely into tight spaces.

Youngplumber
  • Jells
    Options
    Why use a domestic hot water heater for space heating at all? It's not meant for that use.
    Not true, some manufacturers include specific instructions, and side taps for space reasons tend to be more for electric, not gas where the top needs to be open anyway.

But to answer the question generally you should see my overlong post in the main forum. Apparently putting all my questions in one post was the wrong approach so now I guess I'm going to ask 5 different individual questions. 
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,304
    Options
    Hi, I'll add that if you're going to use a tank type heater for space heating, or with solar thermal, it's nice to have more taps so you don't have the possibility induced flow in one loop because of flow in another. It works much like a hydraulic separator.

Yours, Larry
    mattmia2