Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Choose smart pump

Options
WillC
WillC Member Posts: 23
Hi again,

The company that I work with to design our house radiant system does not carry smart pumps.

The reasons I want to add smart pumps is for reducing the expansion noise of the PEX tubing of an above floor panel system and reducing the cost of using the system.

This is the only type they carry: wasserproducts.com/Wasser%20pump.pdf

How do you pick a smart pump and do you integrate it in the system? Is there anything else that need to be added or remove from the entire design if you go with smart pumps? Is there any programmation to do when it is running?

The Grundfos Alpha 2 15-55 is often mentionned here, I can just replace all the pumps with this one?

Cheers.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    That pump is 0-21 gpm @18' of head max. If the pump curve fits what your doing you can use it. They do cost $$$
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,141
    Options
    Does you system have multiple zones, what type of boiler. If your system is zoned with electric valves or thermal actuators on the manifold, A smart pump in delta P mode works wello. Saves energy and prevents over pumping.
    The smart pump doesn't necessarily give you constant circulation by itself. Getting the boiler settings dialed in can get you close to constant circulation.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • WillC
    WillC Member Posts: 23
    Options
    House, basement and garage will be a total of 12 zones. Boiler will be a ELU-199WC with ODR https://htproducts.com/literature/mktlit-97.pdf and the valves are 24V.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Those Wasser pumps are just rebadged Grundfos. It looks like the Wasser GPD 15-6SF is the same as the Grundfos 15-58 and comparable to the Alpha 2 15-55.
    If you post some more info about the number and lengths of your loops, we can help backcheck the design.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein