Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

First Install

Options
Hey guys,
Hope all's well. I did my first full hydronic boiler install... Any suggestions or improvement for next one? 

BillyO

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    It looks like it will function well.

I am not a fan of using the boiler cabinet to support the components. It just make service more difficult down the road. I think attaching the disconnect, zone control and exp tank to the wall gives it a clean look. These work well for the exp tank. https://www.supplyhouse.com/Flamco-97975-Flexconsole-1-2-x-1-2-NPT-Steel-Red?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7c-jkpG37gIVFVNyCh1usQKZEAQYBCABEgI-g_D_BwE

I do like that you are "pumping away" and the abundance of isolation valves. Out of curiosity, what model circulators are those and how did you size them? Is this a baseboard heat system?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • danitheplumber
    danitheplumber Member Posts: 85
    Options
    Yes Baseboard. Taco 007e ifc. Not a fan either but in nyc where ever sq in counts you use it... Maybe putting indirect in near future.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Good choice on the circ. I did not recognize the new version. The indirect will work well with the taco controller, you can setup DHW priority if needed.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    How about some circulator isolation valves and possible isolation valves on water feed expansion tank so no draining is required for replacement of serviceable parts . I try to not mount zone or circulator controls on the boiler due to the heat given off the boiler and any leaks from items above could potential ruin the control . On another note was the water the system filled with tested for tds ,hardiness to help prevent future kettling get in the boiler . I also try to mount the expansion some place but not on top of the boiler makes for double work if the flue collector has to be removed or in the case of a pinned oil boiler you would not be able to clean or brush out the boiler . We usually try to mount things from a wall or on a panel so as the piping is from the boiler is not the support ,I try to keep the top of the boiler unobstructed and non supportive of piping ,leaving plenty of room for the top to be removed and no worries of water drip on the boiler or control just a few little pet peeves from servicing boilers w everything just mounted on the boiler makes for rough servicing in some cases especially oil boilers .
    Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    looks like you had plenty of real estate to work with, try to keep any component that may/will leak from above the boiler, a side panel as Clammy mentioned can help organize components. Nice piping work.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • danitheplumber
    Options
    Thank you and appreciate it.  Would be nice to pre fab it on a board. It would stream line it no matter the amount of zones. I also don't usually put expansion tank on top of boiler jacket especially with all the new products for expansion tank.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Yes the tank—

also it’s cool to have isolation for the tank 

also the wiring doesn’t look super pro. 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • danitheplumber
    Options
    What would you suggest for wiring?
    I guess running the supply on the same side of the return would have been a better place...
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    Not suppose to fly the bX like that, often the bx gets zip tied to the 1/2” pipe on the other side of the boiler, Then fly off and hit the pumps. Also- same with stat wires, why zip to gas pipe when you can zip to the electricians pipe? And, why not have the zone controller on the same side as the electrical shut off switch? Just small things 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • danitheplumber
    Options
    I hear... Next boiler... Hopefully I'll have more time to prep everything on a board... 
    BillyO
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    Options
    Great job!!!! Take pride in your work and never stop learning. Next one will be better, and next one after that etc........ Need more up and coming guys like you in the trade
    danitheplumber
  • danitheplumber
    Options

This was the original one. I was surprised how little safeties the boiler came with. There was no roll out switch which caused the wiring to melt to the point of a no heat call.