Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Upside down manifold okay?

Options
josephny
josephny Member Posts: 270
I'm installing my first between the joists radiant system into an old house with layers and layers of low quality repairs, modifications and additions (that is to say, it's slow going).

Usiing Uponor materials (pex, plates, EP manifold, etc.).

Can I install the manifold so that the pipes come out the top?

Also, I understand pex expands with heat, but I don't know how to allow for that expansion when the pex is in plates?

Thank you!

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Most manifolds can be mounted that way, but some caution that debris can get in the flow gauges causing them to be inaccurate.

The expansion of the pex in plates takes place at the U bends and turns at the ends.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • ewang
    ewang Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Also consider that if mounted upside down, the included vents on the EP manifolds will be rendered useless.

By looping from above to come below, you naturally create a loop that the expansion can act upon and not cause issues.
  • josephny
    Options
    Ironman said:

Most manifolds can be mounted that way, but some caution that debris can get in the flow gauges causing them to be inaccurate.

The expansion of the pex in plates takes place at the U bends and turns at the ends.

Thank you!
  • josephny
    Options
    ewang said:

Also consider that if mounted upside down, the included vents on the EP manifolds will be rendered useless.

By looping from above to come below, you naturally create a loop that the expansion can act upon and not cause issues.

ewang said:

Sounds like you would advise to come from under and loop below.

Thank you!
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Can you place then vertically ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • josephny
    Options
    Rich_49 said:

Can you place then vertically ?

I don't understand (but would love to). Please what vertically?

Thanks!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    If you use electric actuators on an upside down manifold, get the type that are sealed so any leak stays out of the motors.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Placing them vertically means the manifold bodies are mounted vertically, instead of horizontally, and the tubing connections enter from the sides.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • josephny
    Options
    Ironman said:

Placing them vertically means the manifold bodies are mounted vertically, instead of horizontally, and the tubing connections enter from the sides.

Ah, got it. The pex all comes from on top (where the joists are), so it would be neater to have them come right down into the manifold, but ewang points out that come down behind and then under and in front of the manifold mounted on plywood would provide for expansion.

Thanks!
  • ewang
    ewang Member Posts: 77
    Options
    @josephny I just commissioned my new DIY system yesterday and despite the amount of real-estate needed to come from above and hit the bottom of the EP Manifold's, I am very glad I did. The vents that are included from Uponor's EP manifolds made bleeding a breeze.
    josephny
  • josephny
    Options
    ewang said:

@josephny I just commissioned my new DIY system yesterday and despite the amount of real-estate needed to come from above and hit the bottom of the EP Manifold's, I am very glad I did. The vents that are included from Uponor's EP manifolds made bleeding a breeze.

That's great! Congrats!

Would love to see pics.
  • Rich_49
    Options
    here are some pictures of a system done quite awhile ago with both manifold orientations . https://mechanical-hub.com/langans/
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
  • josephny
    Options
    That is some neat work! Thank you.

What do you call the brackets or hold downs that hold multiple pex lines against the back board?

• Rich_49
    Options
    That was done using Uponor 1/2" pex rails , cut to needed lengths . There is one attached to the board and another facing the board after all lines were installed then fastened . https://www.supplyhouse.com/Wirsbo-Uponor-A5700500-1-2-PEX-Rail-65-ft-2137000-p?utm_source=bingad&utm_medium=shopping&msclkid=4eccfefa3d651d3fd6dd9ef7893c4ab5
    732-751-1560
    josephny
  • Darek_NYC
    Darek_NYC Member Posts: 14
    Options
    I did mine upside-down. It works for now. Look for my latest post. The went on the end of the manifold (if you have one) can be turn to upright position. I have only a purge valves on the ends and they also turns.