Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Traps

I have an old house where the steam system has been neglected. I just replaced 10 F/T traps that were leaking by but I still have a ton of radiator traps that are bad. I’m seeing some people say to replace them all at the same time preferably during the summer. Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,973
    Yes. If you have a bad steam trap and it's leaking steam by, it will pressurize the dry return. Which, in turn, will create back pressure on nearby traps. They don't like that, and there is a very real risk that replacing only a few traps will leave others to leak by -- and they can ruin the ones you just replaced. The reason for doing it during the summer is obvious -- sometimes things take longer than you think they will, and if it's summer you won't have people shivering...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    LS123dyoung9121
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,180
    As Jamie said above, off season/summer is the best time. You must have quite a system with 10 F&T's.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    @dyoung9121

Not sure if your replacing or rebuilding the radiator traps. If you rebuild you can do quite a few in a day with the right tools and can get replacement parts from Tunstall Associates or Barnes & Jones.

Even so there is always a couple of them that will delay your progress. Summer is coming hopefully
  • LS123
    LS123 Member Posts: 475
    hi all, is steam trap referenced here is same as a steam pipes? or something else? or referring to things like L bows, Ts etc?
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • LS123
    thank you @Youngplumber ... I was looking at amazon last night looking for this book..... until I get the book... so is a steam trap identical to main vent? It seems to me Steam trap has dual functionality which are vent air + and condensate. Like gorton #2 would only let air out... Am I getting understanding correctly?
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • LS123
    thank you @Youngplumber ... I intend to have a pro from this site come over in few weeks, although the team system been around for long, very long time, I like to invest improving it... best!
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • dyoung9121
    dyoung9121 Member Posts: 24
    The house is old and huge. I am only replacing the cage units on the radiator traps which are Hoffman 17C’s. Any good ideas how to get the caps off. Not looking forward to doing this but it needs done.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,180
    A good fitting 6 point socket and impact tool works well.

There may be better replacement parts than Hoffman's.
  • dyoung9121
    dyoung9121 Member Posts: 24
    Yes,  I was planning on using the Barnes & Jones cage units.  Thank you for your response