Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Orientation of TACO circulation valve 007-F5

Options
nebber
nebber Member Posts: 1
edited January 2021 in Domestic Hot Water
I had a (likely) 20 year old TACO circulating valve replaced about 4-5 years ago. I recently did some renovations that included a fair amount of water shut off and draining... likely adding significant air to our hot water heating system. A TACO circulating valve between my boiler and indirect water take began 'sticking' periodically, likely caused by air in the valve. I/my plumber could 'unstick' the valve by closing downstream, draining some water, and then opening.

My plumber suggested both adding an air release valve ahead of the TACO valve AND re-orientating the TACO valve. Some facts:
  • Both now (pictured) and previously it was installed 'horizonatally'
  • Previously it was 'flipped' and I think his theory was that the air (being the highest point) was sticking the valve.
  • The current/new (pictured) set up does not appear to match the install PDF.

Is this set up bad? Or should I see what happens...

I'm attaching photos of the after -

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    What you have is a Taco circulator pump, here is the install sheet for the mounting.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    It's a wet rotor circulator, not a valve. Water lubricates the bearings and it has to be mounted with the motor horizontal, not vertical. The way it s now, debris will collect in the bottom and the bearing will be ruined from it.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    HVACNUTbucksnort
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options
    Since we can't "see" the rest of the system, I'm sure there is some sort of Air Elimination installed in the system. What I don't see are any isolation valves on either side of the circulator. So what that means is when the circ was replaced, water was drained out of the system. New water introduced back in but the air can still be wrecking havoc.
    Take a look here on the best way to purge that air out

Dave H
    Dave H
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 235
    Options
    The motor should never be installed under the casing because if there is ever a leak it could get inside the electrical box. When installed horizontal ( motor and shaft parallel to the floor )think of a clock, the motor box should be in the 12, 3, or 9 o'clock and never in the 6 o'clock position for the same reason as mentioned above.
    bucksnort
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    Rotate the pump to a horizontal position. Take a pic of the whole installation, from further away.

The Taco pumps have a sealed cartridge in them. Debris can get into the sealed cartridge and slow or stop rotation.