Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Waterlogged radiator vents

Options
Hello,
After ensuring that my boiler water was between a PH of 9.0 to 10.0, I still would experience waterlogged vents.
I decided to try a mechanical solution and am so glad to report a great reduction if not total elimination of waterlogged radiator vents!
It’s very simple and rather inexpensive. Purchase 1/8” 45 degree street els, one for each radiator or one for each problem radiator.
Unscrew the steam vent from the radiator, screw in one of the street els, and then screw the vent into the street el. The street el will allow you to position the steam vent so that it is “tilted” instead of exactly at 90 degrees in relation to the radiator. Ensure that both the el has a slope that encourages gravity to drain condensate back into the radiator and the top of the steam vent is closer to the radiator than the bottom. Experiment and use common sense. The idea is to use gravity in your favor.
I did have to replace 1-2 vents with new ones, but this setup has worked very well with no more waterlogged vents 

Comments

• stevenknaub
    stevenknaub Member Posts: 24
    Options
    My boiler is a Burnham Independence IN-4. Both main steam outlets are in use, and I reworked the near boiler piping after a very botched install.  Very recently I began to keep the water level much closer to the water level line established by the manufacturer and my heating is much more even.
  • Dan_NJ
    Dan_NJ Member Posts: 247
    Options
    I've used a 1/8" short nipple and 90 elbow pointed straight up, and changed the vent to a straight rather than angled, and seems to achieve good results. The 1/8 tapping in this radiator is not level so there's always some condensate at the vent, but this way it seems to sit in the nipple instead of the vent body.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    After ensuring that my boiler water was between a PH of 9.0 to 10.0, I still would experience waterlogged vents.

Curious, what is the connection between boiler water PH and how waterlogged your radiator vents are? I can think of a couple possibilities but I'd like to know what you're thinking there.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • stevenknaub
    Options
    Foaming and water carryover also called wet steam can occur with a high ph
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    I agree (or possibly more accurate to say "with high treatment levels").

So why are your vents still full of water? Do you think you're still getting wet steam?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • stevenknaub
    Options
    Unsure, system is very quiet no hammer
    ethicalpaul