Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Original Boiler Sizing (From 1927)

Options
2»

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,702
    Options
  • Wellness
    Wellness Member Posts: 143
    Options
    @ethicalpaul. Yes this old history is facinating. I'm testing my memory here, but I always thought that for phone numbers the name was equivalent to the area code and preceded the phone digits as in @EBEBRATT-Ed example, like "KING 992" or" QUEEN 4421". In any event, I've never seen old phone numbers printed on letterhead like that. So cool.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,702
    Options
    Look at things like the north american dialing plan on wikipedia. Bell Systems' numbering plans and how they migrated between the different plans as the system grew are well documented.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,707
    Options
    Wellness said:

@ethicalpaul. Yes this old history is facinating. I'm testing my memory here, but I always thought that for phone numbers the name was equivalent to the area code and preceded the phone digits as in @EBEBRATT-Ed example, like "KING 992" or" QUEEN 4421". In any event, I've never seen old phone numbers printed on letterhead like that. So cool.

That's called the "prefix". In Kalamazoo michigan I bought a lot of old phones at garage sales and my favorites were the ones that still said "FIreside 3-wxyz" on the dial. In Kalamazoo the prefix was typically 34x. F = 3, I = 4. Western Michigan University was 387. Every dorm room came with its own 387 phone number. But I digress.

In the late 90s as I recall we lost our nice 616 area code (Grand Rapids kept it) and got ugly 269 which I still have on my cell phone.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    Back to steam heating: Our local church was completed in 1912. Receipts were kept, I have not seen the itemized versions, but it was summed up in a centennial report.
    The heating and plumbing bill was $1600.81. For this they got and still have a 120' 3" main down each side of the building. There were 2 2" wet buried returns (thankfully replaced by dry returns 30 years ago.
    There were 18 single pipe CI rads connected for a total of about 1300 EDR. They are all still working well. Original piping and rads are intact. Valves are all open and not to be messed with. All rad vents changed, that may have been the only venting.
    10 Gorton G-2 have been added.
    No info on the boiler, but I know it came with a coal shovel as my Grandfather stoked the fires. Was converted to oil and now is NG.

The entire project was $39,856.89. Paid for by donations at the time with an excess of $32.49 balance left in the budget.
    ethicalpaul
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Options
    Steamhead said:
    .......(don’t have combustion analyzer).....
    Time to get one. I use a Wöhler, but there are other good brands. These units aren't cheap, but lawyers are a lot more expensive.
    Hey I’m just an apprentice what do I know.  

Been dropping hints to the boss for a while.  

Will probably buy one myself here soon.  Got digital gauges for Christmas gift last year.  So maybe CA for birthday this year. 

The UEI kit with the printer looks like a fair bargain.  I don’t do any commercial
    work.