Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Maid o Mist Rainbow Power Humidifier - Help

Options
Hello group - Wondering if anyone can help us get an instruction manual for the Maid o Mist Rainbow Power Humidifier. We just bought a house with this unit on the ceiling of our basement and we have no clue how to work or service it so we can work it. We checked with 2 HVAC contractors in Jersey and no one knows what it is.

Can anyone help with servicing the unit or knows someone in jersey.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,835
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Is it still operational? This is no longer available for purchase, very old.

This is the most I could find on short notice.

It is in your ceiling because there is a heating duct that it is attached to. The heating duct must be above the ceiling.

There is a float valve that allows water to enter the tub or tank. That is the part you see. There is a motor that causes the brush to revolve like a rotisserie. The brush dips in the water tank and brings water up into the airflow of the heating duct where it evaporates off the bristles of the brush.

If it is operational there may be some repair parts for maintenance available online. https://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/humidifiers/maid-o-mist/h2o.html
    Instruction manual not likely

If it is not functioning then you should look into replacing it with another brand like Skuttle, General, or Herrmidifer. I believe they have an under duct mount like yours.

If you don't need a humidifier, then you can remove it and just cover up the duct opening and patch the ceiling. If you need a humidifier then you may have more options if you don't restrict yourself to under duct models. Honeywell and others have some models that operate by making steam and releasing it into your ductwork.

Yours truly
    Mr.Ed
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    ethicalpaul
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,641
    Options
    I'd vote for replacement with a flow through bypass or a steam humidifier. Those ones with a float and a pan of water never work out well.
    EdTheHeaterMan