Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HOT WATER TANK-Hybrid that can work with indirect during winter, electric during summer. Is there 1?

LS123
LS123 Member Posts: 466
Hello all,

i have a old steam boiler that has a connection for indirect water heater... the connection for indirect water heater is not being used. We have a electric hot water heater.

I was wondering if there water heater tanks that can work with both indirect and electric? you may wonder why?

because during winter, my steam boiler produce lots of heat and I feel like energy is being wasted....

During summer, I dont want to depend on the boiler, because it produce more than enough heat to make the basement too hot.. so during summer I can use electricity to heat the water...

Please let know is there are such water heaters available... I google, found some hybrids that works with heat pumps... but I dont like that type of hybrid.

Thank you!
Thank you!
@LS123

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    I would use a heat exchanger connected to the boiler and piped to your existing electric hot water heater so you don't need an additional tank.

You could use an "Everhot" external tankless or a brazed plate heat exchanger. This will cost a few $$$ as you will need valves controls and circulating pumps
    LS123
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hi @LS123 , It sounds like you're looking for a tank that has a heat exchange coil in the lower part and an element in the upper part. Chiltrix makes one and almost certainly there are others. May I ask, why don't you like heat pump units?

Yours, Larry
    LS123
  • SweatHog
    SweatHog Member Posts: 30
    Among others, Heat-flo and Bradford White sell indirect water heaters with electric backup. Although @EBBRATT-Ed makes a good point about cost effectiveness of buying a second water heater, your house will feel a lot more comfortable and your AC will have to work less hard to cool things down from the boiler.
    LS123
  • LS123
    thank you @EBEBRATT-Ed , @Larry Weingarten and @SweatHog, all of your responses answer my question... now I have some ideas, I will do little research and get back to you if I need more help...
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I agree, with local rebates you can usually buy a heat pump water heater for less than the cost of an electric tank! 

They work fantastic in hot boiler rooms. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    ethicalpaul
  • LS123
    thank you @Solid_Fuel_Man ... but my basement dont hotter than 70F... I have no experience with heat pumps... I will look them up....
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • LS123
    @Larry Weingarten ... sorry I did not realize you had ask me why I dont like heat pumps.... Its not that I dont like them... its that I dont know much about heat pumps water heaters.... I am going to look them up...
    Thank you!
    @LS123
    ethicalpaul
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    edited January 2021
    Hi @LS123 , Good chance a heat pump would be a nice fit and as modern ones are roughly three times more efficient than direct resistance heating, it could save you some money too. And then there might be rebates. Have a look at dsireusa org.

Yours, Larry

PS. As they reheat slowly, getting a bigger tank is better, so you have more of a buffer.
    LS123
  • LS123
    @Solid_Fuel_Man , @Larry Weingarten . thank you both.. I did some research, I think I will be moving forward with heat pump hot water system... I really appreciate you responses.
    Thank you!
    @LS123
    Solid_Fuel_ManLarry Weingarten