Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

B&G C51 Circulator Questions

Stovepipe
Stovepipe Member Posts: 5
1) If I install this with the motor up (ie, the oil hole on the top) the flow water will be in the opposite direction of what I need. Can I just disassemble the pump from the motor housing and turn the pump 180 degrees? If I do that, are there any gaskets I would need to replace?

2) The RPM on this C51 is 1725. The LR20BF that was on there was 2900 RPM. Is the slower speed going to cause me any problems?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited January 2021
    Yes, you can rotate the volute to get the flow direction right. Will it need a new gasket? Probably.

The rpm of the pump is not relavent. The two questions that need to be answered are:
    1. Is the pump curve similar for both pumps? You'll have to look that up.
    2. Is that the correct size circulator for your system? That would require knowing the btus and the head of the system to determine how many gpm are needed. Then that should be compared to the pump curve.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Stovepipe
    Stovepipe Member Posts: 5
    I did run across the curves for the C51 & pretty sure I can find the others.

So, basically, compare the flow for the C51 @ 1925 RPM to that of the LR20BF @ 290 RPM? (And assume the LR20BF was the right pump to begin with.)

I guess this is why the guy at the counter isn't always delighted to see Harry Homeowner come through the door.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    No, compare the flow rates at the same head, the rpm has nothing to do with it.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.