Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Could I put a low-water probe by the equalizing Hartford loop, with a four way tee?

Options
mark_s
mark_s Member Posts: 6
It would be the 2nd backup low water probe.

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    I think it should be in the boiler. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    If you mean tapping into the vertical down from the Hartford Loop to the boiler cold return tapping... it might work. If it's up at the Hartford Loop level, as your title implies, it's too high -- and will probably nuisance trip. Anywhere else, it simply won't work. When you say "2nd backup LWCO" do I take that to mean that you already have a regular LWCO, plus a backup already? And if so, what is this one to add? On the other hand, if you don't have a backup LWCO already, I'm quite sure there is a way to add one on the boiler -- which, as @DanHolohan " says, is where it belongs.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mark_s
    Options
    there are no taps available...
    1-i thought the 4-way tee on the hart loop which is 2” below the water line of the boiler will work
    2-will the water  level change too much there? 140k btu, 2.5” header and 1.5” Equalizer.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    edited January 2021
    Options
    You need to remember (realize) that when water is boiling (making steam) there is a significant amount of movement happening inside those pipes. Just look at a pot of boiling water on the stove if you need to see it. The boiling water is not a gentle breeze evaporating off a tranquil lake on some lazy summer afternoon. If you ever get a chance to see Weil-McLain's see-thru Boiler at a Trade Show, you will understand that at just 4 PSI of pressure, it looks like a typhoon is erupting inside that boiler.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovFq-RPdK1M

So the water level at the Hartford Loop during a steaming cycle is not a constant, unwavering, or steady water level. It is a living breathing monster of water, steam, and air all fighting for domination of the realm of the heating system. One of the famous battlegrounds of this confrontation is the village of Hartford Loop. Occasionally the water retreats and regroups to fight on for supremacy and domination of the region. By placing an LWCO at that location you will soon see that steam and or air will infiltrate and disable the burning force that instigates the altercation over the war on comfort in your building.

Or I could just say that it's not a good idea to put an LWCO where you are thinking of putting it. If it was a good idea, others would have done it years ago and live happily ever after.

That is all for storytime today.

Mr. Ed.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    @mark_s ,Can you post a picture of the front -- controls -- side of your boiler, showing the sight glass and the existing low water cut offs? Might be able to figure out a way to get you a third LWCO in there somewhere...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mark_s
    Options

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options
    This one will work
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Mcdonnell-Miller-149400-67-Float-Type-Low-Water-Cut-off-Steam
    You place it where the gauge glass goes with the Tee fittings supplied with the kit.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    This ^^^. No problem at all.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    ASide from you wanting to adds secondary lwco you should remove the skim plug and add a nipple and cap for future skimming . Take a look at the Weil instruction manual there is a extra tapping fora secondary lwco I ,m pretty sure I usually install peerless steamer and not to many weil boilers . I usually add a secondary on large residential systems on smaller one after wanding and skimming I ll pull the probe and clean and usually do the same yearly .what size is that boiler unless small and only one tapping we all usually use both tappings and all steel nota fan on copper or pro press on steam but that’s just me the old guy . Peace and good luck .clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    Not to pick but is your return and Hartford loop connections correct it hard to tell from the pictures . Usually we attach the feedwater to the wet return before the Hartford loop this way the cold water will mix and is less likely to shock the cast if
    Low on water and feeding and a hot boiler . Have you checked your water hardness and tds it may be wise to add a demineralizing filter to address hard water .a inexpensive filter could help prolong your boiler life and also helps cover block warranty if need be without it and w hard water you will be on your own w the warranty . peace and good luckclammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating