Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiator install

Options
finally found a used replacement radiator for existing leaking one...Q: can I exchange them myself or have a pro detach and install?

radiator with brass tea kettle on-top is NEW replacement radiator (one i found). I know im going from 6 tube 5 section to 5 tube 6 section, snuggly fits into corner of room. Thoughts?

Thanks Guys- Happy New Year!!

Comments

• Neild5
    Neild5 Member Posts: 167
    Options
    As far as doing it yourself,  it depends on how strong and handy you are, along with having the right tools.  Radiators are heavy.  You will need to replace the valve on the pipe coming up through the floor along with the spud on the radiator.   You need a pair of large pipe wrenches, a spud wrench, and a grinder or hacksaw.
    Mark929
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    To change you either need the valve from the one you are buying, or the spud from the one you are replacing, or simply a new valve (make sure it's for steam).

The valve and spud are a matched set so they need to stay together. If you can't keep them together then a new valve/spud combo should be sourced. This is the most common and likely route you will take as removing old spuds intact is close to impossible.

Now if the seller is willing to give you the valve too, and it's in serviceable condition and the right size for your pipe, I'd probably go that route, but I'm quite frugal.

All of the above comes down to your personal skill set and how comfortable you are doing the work.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Mark929ethicalpaul