Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Spitting rad and tried it all... last call?

bipbap
bipbap Member Posts: 191
So I’ve been trying everything to get this radiator to stop spitting and ruining the floors.  It gurgles like a kettle like crazy and makes noise and spits.

Its a big 39” wide by 39” tall in a 100 year old house. One pipe steam system, this is on the top/3rd floor.

I tried:

- new Gorton D air vent
- new valve
- adding extra pitch to the radiator
- added large vents to main pipe in basement right near that riser on advice of a steam pro from this site who visited, see photo 

Is it possible the radiator is just no good anymore?

Thanks for your advice

Comments

• bipbap
    One other photo if helpful
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,756
    The only water that should be in the area of the vent is from condensate.  So I see two possibilities.  The steam in your system is wet, or you have excess condensation due to using too much venting on that rad.  Try a smaller vent, a 4,5, or 6, if that doesn’t work then start looking for where the water is coming from, pitch problems or poor near boiler piping.

Also you comment about a rad being bad, unless it’s leaking it can’t really go bad, it’s an empty vessel.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ethicalpaul
  • PCapNJ
    PCapNJ Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2020
    What's your near boiler piping look like? You could be producing "wet" steam causing water to go up the riser, but it is the 3rd floor which seems crazy - I'll let the experts weigh in on that. Also, what pressure are you running? Another thing to make sure is that the valve is fully open, not partially open which could be causing condensate to sit and get pick up by incoming steam.

Another thing I'm noticing is that valve size - what is the pipe size/valve going to that radiator? Is it possible that someone in the past moved this larger radiator to this room and now it's oversized for the riser?

From what I've gathered, there is a possibility of venting too fast, which I believe I had done in the past and had similar symptoms as you are having. Now I went too far the other way and having my vents whistle so likely will need to rebalance and land in the middle.

Experts.... did I get that all right? :smile:

-steamerintraining
  • bipbap
    edited December 2020
    Good questions.

The valve is fully open.

More info- this radiator was in another 3rd floor location and was spitting there as well.
    There are other similar size radiators on that floor which are not spitting.

When I said maybe it could go bad, i was just wondering if maybe it was rusted inside in a way which blocked the condensate from draining back out and kept it gurgling since water was trapped inside.

Let me post a near boiler photo when I’m back there 
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    I noticed the radiator is lifted by wood wedges on all four legs.
    The radiator looks level and needs to be pitched toward the shut off valve.

I think you might want to remove the wedges near the **** off valve.

Jake
  • bipbap
    It actually is pitched back towards the valve, just hard to tell in photo but he went over each section of it with a level a few times.
  • PCapNJ
    PCapNJ Member Posts: 14
    Blockage is an interesting thought too. I've been working on purging my old rads (Rococo like yours) the best I can to try to remove sludge and eliminate any potential for standing water and I've been surprised with what oddball debris I've found.

Might be worth pulling the rad off the valve and shining a flashlight down and visually inspect as best as you can. I've purchased a borescope way back when I first bought my home and I've used it more times than I can count - just a thought.

• AdmiralYoda
    AdmiralYoda Member Posts: 652
    Harbor freight and Amazon have some pretty cheap inspection cameras that would work.  Not a bad idea.
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 954
    edited December 2020
    The air vent does not look vertical. Straightening it might not help, but certainly couldn’t hurt. 

Assuming you don’t have wet steam, a slower vent may very well help. Fast vents on large radiators are notorious for spitting. 

Bburd
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    It is possible the rubber disc, inside the supply valve has come loose and, while it allows steam to enter the radiator, it drops down and prevents condensate from getting out of the radiator. Take the radiator lose from the supply valve and look inside the valve.
    bburd