Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Environmental Defense Fund not in Favor of Upgrading Chicago Gas Infrastructure

WMno57
WMno57 Member Posts: 1,250
edited December 2021 in Gas Heating
In today's Chicago Tribune:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-peoples-gas-pipeline-replacement-renewable-energy-20201222-i6er5w2abjeazg34ywajhfvg7q-story.html

“By 2040, when they say that this program will finally be completed, the entire structure of the energy system, both gas and electric, will have been completely transformed,” said Christie Hicks, a senior attorney for the Environmental Defense Fund focused on clean energy initiatives in Illinois. “We really need to be taking a hard look at whether it is in the public interest to continue this program as it was designed almost a decade ago.”

"Kolata and other advocates are pushing for electrification as a long-term alternative to natural gas, with electric-powered heat pumps — a sort of reverse air conditioner — proving both environmentally friendly and increasingly cost efficient."

The article does have 12 pictures of the new yellow plastic gas mains and big plastic valves being installed. "the oldest pipe yet replaced dated to 1859"

This week's Chicago Christmas morning low is forcast to be 8 degrees F. Has anyone told the EDF how many Nuke Plants will be needed to run all those heat pumps in emergency mode?

test
the grinch
123 mt crumpit rd
whooville, me 12345
I DIY.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    "Has anyone told the EDF how many Nuke Plants will be needed to run all those heat pumps in emergency mode?"

No, and they don't care. I've dealt with those folks -- and their fellow travellers, and they've had the word and they simply won't tolerate any deviation from the party line. It's their way or the highway, as we used to say.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England