Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

circulator pump

Options
cutter
cutter Member Posts: 292
I have a Wilo-Stratos ECO, it has the ECM motor, It supply's water to two zones. The pump has been in service for two years and yesterday decided to call it quits. I measured flange to flange and get 6 1/4" Wilo states 6 1/2". Supply house does not stock this pump, or I just can't find it on their site. Or Wilo no longer markets this pump because of warranty issues. I see two other pumps on the supply house site. A grundfos UPS15-58 FC 3 speed pump with 6 1/2" flange to flange. Then there is a Taco 007e ECM, Flange to flange 6 3/8". These are the only two that would fit in the space available. Wilo does have another pump but I am a lot disappointed with them.

I know there are a lot calculations for the exact right pump.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a pump?

Comments

• cutter
    Options
    What I was looking for was what brand is more reliable. what brand will last longer.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,953
    Options
    All of the circulators that you mention are good products and can last a very long time.
    If you have some "play" in your pipes, you should be able to install any one of the circulators you have mentioned.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    The Grundfos Alpha has a very similar curve and a solid track record. The 007e would probably work well depending on the actual resistance of the loops.
    Most small to medium wet rotor circs will fit your 6 3/8" +/- spacing. There is almost always a way to loosen a strap and fudge a 1/4" or so.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    You may want to check the quality of the water before moving forward. That’s too soon for a failure. Take the failed pump apart for a quick inspection. Check motor magnet to see how much iron it’s collected. You may end up with same problem on the new circ. 
    Steve Minnich
    Dave H_2STEVEusaPAZman
  • cutter
    Options
    Zman said:

The Grundfos Alpha has a very similar curve and a solid track record. The 007e would probably work well depending on the actual resistance of the loops.
    Most small to medium wet rotor circs will fit your 6 3/8" +/- spacing. There is almost always a way to loosen a strap and fudge a 1/4" or so.

I looked at a alpha2 15-55f. They are saying 6 1/2" flange spacing. I have almost no wiggle room. Wilo says the current pump flange spacing is 6 1/2". A tape says 6 1/4" though. Thinner gaskets would help a lot. I could run the way I am right now till spring and shorten a pipe a little then and fit this pump in if I can't make it fit now. I can't lose another pump and run till spring. This alpha needs to be programed for one of 3 speeds, is that hard to do?
  • cutter
    Options

You may want to check the quality of the water before moving forward. That’s too soon for a failure. Take the failed pump apart for a quick inspection. Check motor magnet to see how much iron it’s collected. You may end up with same problem on the new circ. 

I have two pumps on this system. The other pump, pumps the same water. the water goes through a hydraulic separator that has a dirt magnet in it. I have removed the magnet several times and dumped water out of it and have not seen much. I know my water is not the cleanest, but very little to no dirt came out on a flush.
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    Options
    cutter said:

What I was looking for was what brand is more reliable. what brand will last longer.

I am not aware of any data that supports one brand of ECM circulator lasting longer than another, but there is examples of ECM circulators not lasting as long as traditional wet rotor circulators. As Steve pointed out above, the ECM units are more sensitive to water quality and contaminates.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    You need to have a mag sep with any ECM in my opinion. Warranty should be contingent on that.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • cutter
    Options
    hot_rod said:

You need to have a mag sep with any ECM in my opinion. Warranty should be contingent on that.

I have that Caleffi Hydraulic separator, I thought the magnet at the bottom of that device would attract any steel particles. Every time I open the valve at the bottom of the separator I put the flow into a bucket so I can see any dirt or particles. I always see pretty clean water. If there is a better device it will be hard to plumb in now.
  • cutter
    Options
    Robert_25 said:

cutter said:

I am not aware of any data that supports one brand of ECM circulator lasting longer than another, but there is examples of ECM circulators not lasting as long as traditional wet rotor circulators. As Steve pointed out above, the ECM units are more sensitive to water quality and contaminates.
    Thanks for the input I will stay clear of the ECM pump.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    cutter said:

hot_rod said:

I have that Caleffi Hydraulic separator, I thought the magnet at the bottom of that device would attract any steel particles. Every time I open the valve at the bottom of the separator I put the flow into a bucket so I can see any dirt or particles. I always see pretty clean water. If there is a better device it will be hard to plumb in now.
    If you flush the device and the fluid runs clean, your system is probably free from deposits or magnetite. Usually a yearly flush is adequate, maybe twice yearly with old steel piping and cast radiators. Every system is unique, some are constantly flaking and scaling, corroding, some systems never do. Yours may be in the middle.
    Some ECM fail due to electronic issues not crappy fluid, taking one completely apart may help determine the cause of the failure.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • cutter
    Options
    hot_rod said:

cutter said:

hot_rod said:

If you flush the device and the fluid runs clean, your system is probably free from deposits or magnetite. Usually a yearly flush is adequate, maybe twice yearly with old steel piping and cast radiators. Every system is unique, some are constantly flaking and scaling, corroding, some systems never do. Yours may be in the middle.
    Some ECM fail due to electronic issues not crappy fluid, taking one completely apart may help determine the cause of the failure.
    My system was put in around 1985 slant fin or equivalent baseboards. All copper from the hydraulic separator manifold to baseboards and back to the return manifold. I am pretty sure the boilers have sediment in their bottoms, I tried to flush them, but feel there in still sediment in them. The returns don't return to the very bottom so the sediment may not get stirred up. The supply comes off the top of boiler so there should not be much if any dirt circulating. I do flush several times a heating season just to see if anything ugly comes out.
    Another person on this site did not have good luck with this same pump either. I am leaning towards the Grundfos pump to replace the Wilo.