Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Utica boiler question

Options
Mike944
Mike944 Member Posts: 3
edited December 2020 in Gas Heating
Hello everyone, first timer here with a question on my Utica boiler and a new radiant heat install with a second circulator. I have a 5 year old Utica SVB-4 boiler with an Argo AZ-5 zone controller, 4 baseboard zones in use with one circulator. As I understand (and the way the boiler currently functions) when the thermostat calls for heat on any of the 4 zones the circular starts and then the boiler fires. I would like to install a second loop with a second circulator for radiant heat. Assuming I use a Taco SR501 to control the second circulator how do I run the XX wires from the SR501 back to the boiler? If I tie them into the existing TT wires on the boiler this will start the first circulator, I just want to enable the boiler to fire and let the second circulator take care of the radiant heat. Is there a spot on the Honeywell control board model S9361A2070 where I can attach the XX output of the SR501to give a permissive for the boiler to start without starting the first circulator or will the boiler start based on lowering temp in the boiler once the radiant heat circulator starts(pretty sure I need a permissive to let the boiler start)? Still looking into it and I could use the 5th zone on the AZ controller but I’ve heard radiant works better with its own circulator. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Mike

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    What type of radiant? Slab? Staple up?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
    Options
    You will need a separate sr 502 relay... this will now control both circulator pumps.
  • Mike944
    Options
    Ironman said:
    Slab

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    The existing circulator is wired through the boilers circuit board, not the Argo relay?
    The existing circulator can be wired to "end switch 2" on the Argo. "End switch 1 should already connect to the thermostat connection on the boilers board. 
    Then the SR501 can be used. Wire Com 5 and N.O. 6 in parallel with "end switch 2" to to thermostat connection at the boilers board.
    Mike944
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Mike944 said:

Ironman said:

Slab

If a slab, then you need a smart mixing device to provide the right water temp to it. You can't use the same temp that's going to the baseboards and this changes the control strategy.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Mike944
    Options
    Ironman said:
    Ironman said:
    Slab

If a slab, then you need a smart mixing device to provide the right water temp to it. You can't use the same temp that's going to the baseboards and this changes the control strategy.
    It’s on the list👍